kayak camping

Watch for high tides
If you’re sea kayaking and camping on a beach, make sure you know where the high tide line will be prior to setting up your tent.

Be aware that there are usually two high tides per day, one higher than the other, and that the heights of the daily high tides vary from one day to the next with the phases of the moon. In other words, don’t just plop your tent down a couple feet above the highest seaweed line and think you’re fine! Consult a tide chart, or if one is not available, pitch as far up the beach as you can.

Alex

wow…do people really not think
about the tide line? Pretty scary, i don’t want to camp with that person.

Look at Hennessey Hammocks

– Last Updated: May-04-12 8:40 PM EST –

I got one last summer and for kayaking it is way smaller then my tent and much lighter, which makes it easier getting where you are going.
they are also quite comfortable, i sleep on my side and i was comfortable sleeping in it.
It does however take some getting used to rolling over inside of it, but once you get the hang of it you're fine.

As for tides, i live on the Bay of Fundy, where were normally get 30-35 foot tides in my area, so it can be VERY important to know how high the tide line is. Looks for piles of seaweed and sea grass and go higher just to be sure.

Re: tides
I’m sure people do think about the tide line - I’m just saying that it’s not as easy as one might think to figure out WHERE the tide line will be on a given night. It changes from day to day, and even experienced coastal paddlers can be surprised sometimes!

Alex