Kayak fishing, why only sit-on-top boats

Check out Enlightened Kayaks

– Last Updated: Aug-01-05 7:01 AM EST –

As an avid fisherman and a need to move into a boat i can fish and tour in, this is the boat i'm currently saving for. It's designed by John Winters. 16' x 24" stable craft with an optional fishing package that comes with removeable outriggers. Check out the compass mount which is essentially a flat area just fore of the cockpit, looks like a great spot to mount a depth finder. It's a thermoformed 2 piece plastic hull instead of being roto-molded. Also, they give you 30 days to test drive the yak, if you don't like it, they refund your money including shipping costs. Anyone out there paddle one of these boats? http://www.enlightenedkayaks.com/kayaks.htm

Kayak fishing, why only sit-on-top boats
I use a Perception Keowee 2 here in eastern Washington State. We have great trout and kokanees (etc.) lakes around Spokane and Northern Idaho. I am really pleased with my Keowee for fishing and carrying all the extra gear I would ever need. But, I am looking for a Partial Eclipse Half-Sprayskirt to keep some of the weather and water off me in the cooler seasons.

Ollie

OK, new perspective
Yesterday I took my SOT out fishing on a river in my area. This is a popular fishing destination, but not real conducive to prop boaters (jet boats do all right).

Anyway, it was a tough bite yesterday and by the end of the day, I was more sun-bathing than fishing. It sure was nice being able to sit sideways on the boat, dangling my legs in the water with the cooler on one side and lures on the other. You can’t do that in a SinK. (I’ve tried, it’s kind of a wet thing to do.)

• Big D

Which is better?
A snowmobile or a quad? Snowshoes or hiking boots? A heater or an air conditioner?

i fish from a sink and when it’s slow
i find a nice little spot on shore and pull out my beach umbrella, folding bag chair and cooler. Put the chair in the water, up goes the umbrella and POP goes the beer top. A pair of binoculars and LIFE IS GOOD. Also i can recline the seatback of my Loon and lean back, put my feet up also, but one on each side.