Kayak for 11 year old

think
about finding a Raven by Current Designs

Best kayak for his size and age and where you have stated to be paddling

when he outgrows it…sell it to recoup a good percentage. let him paddle something that will fit and be safe. Invest in the safest, all the needed features and sized right.

Best Wishes

Roy

Check out a local shop
See if you can find a local kayak shop who would be willing to work with you to find a good boat for you. Maybe get the boy a half day lesson to get him up to speed and practice a few self rescues with an instructor. Kids are great at cowboy self rescues and scrambling into boats. Have him practice a wet exit with a spray skirt if you get him a boat that uses one. Get a good life jacket that fits him well and make sure it’s snug every time he goes out on the water. You might be able to find an inexpensive wetsuit at a sporting goods store meant for watersports, would work well with a windproof jacket to keep him comfortable early or later in the season.

As far as boats, a Wilderness Systems Tsunami SP would be good if you could find one, or maybe a Tsunami 120. A Dagger Alchemy S would be a great boat he could grow with; might be a bit big this first season but he will really hit his stride with it in another year or two. A set of wheels would make it easier to transport as well. Some of these boats are in the 1k range new, but if you’re ready to spend $800 it’s not a stretch to get something right the first time that will last for years. Take your time to research and make sure you get a good fitting boat for him, don’t rush into what seems like a good deal online but doesn’t work for him in the long run. There’s always lots of kayaks around (unless it’s a Raven for under 1k!) so get him to sit in some and you’ll see what works and what doesn’t.

Very well articulated
Excellent response. Thank you. I tend to agree with most of what you argue. This is one reason I’ve been biased toward boats at REI (The Elie Straight 120 and the Riot Edge 14.5). They have great return policy. If the boat simply doesn’t fit, then it can go back.

I am willing to travel, to a point. But the fit issue is exacerbated by travel. When you have driven 60 miles to see an object, the psychological pressure to see it favorably is strong.

As I said above, I would love to build a boat. But I don’t want to wait on paddling. I would much rather be on the water and taking our time getting the design and build right, than missing the water and rushing the build.

NC kayak
Isn’t this retailer in the puget sound area? They make a youth kayak because I almost bought one here in Des Moines. I think the model was NC11.

Look at a Northwest Sportee
Still made. Used ones pop up occasionally. May be a bit on the wide side for your son at 23 in. I have had mine on flat water, surf, class 2 rivers. Children have an easy time paddling. Biggest upside is if your son does not like it, you get an awesome all around kayak.

The Raven
To be clear, you all are enthusiastic about the CD Raven, is that right?

I’m choosing to let the OP decide

– Last Updated: Mar-24-15 1:42 PM EST –

I agree about the OP further defining conditions, size of the child and a few other factors. And all things being equal I agree with the recommendations you made. I just want to give another option. A rec boat means managing expectations.

When we paddled along the lake MI shoreline we were always in close enough proximity to shore to get onshore before any waves materialized - I'm talking about 300'. My nephew is part fish but we still outfitted him in a shorty john (he loved it because it let him swim around in lake MI in spring).

I just want to give another option
I hate to rule out rec boats because so many of us started there. I know I used caution after the first sill I took in flatwater, trying to find the boat’s limits and practicing wet exits. Others are correct that you’ll have to manage your expectations if you go the rec boat route. I’m reassured a bit in that your child has already had some exposure to kayaking.

I like that boat
Upside is it may be big enough to get a few more years’ use.