kayak for a fat man?

Like any two-word hard and fast rule

– Last Updated: Aug-14-06 11:25 AM EST –

"Cotton kills" is a gross oversimplification that does not apply in all situations.

Right now here in Texas, the bay and beach water are in the low-mid 80s, the air temps are in the mid 90s, RH 60%. I'm not wearing anything but cotton.

For you in BC, I would never wear cotton. Most important, with your Pacific NW water temps, you have to dress for immersion all year round - wetsuit in summer, dry suit rest of the year.

thanks for your thoughts guys!
I appreciate your recommendations :slight_smile: right now, unfortunately, it seems the only boat that’s held here locally that fits me is the Pungo 120 at Valhalla Pure…tho I am gonna go take a look at Ocean Pacific and see if Spoke n Motion (all local shops) has anything for a guy my size.

right now, it looks like I need to acquire some appropriate clothing, besides the vast cotton options I have in my drawers!

Try Ebay
Ebay is a great source for used gear. From a skills perspective, take your time getting used to paddling. Your shoulders, elbows and wrists will need time to condition themselves. Better to take your time than strain a muscle or a joint. As for your blistered thumbs, try wrapping them over the paddle. Good luck and stick with it…

I am wary of ebay…
being I’m so noobish, out of condition and require a BIG boat, I’d rather make sure something is right for me, by trial. I also have a general distrust of ebay, tho I have and do order from it. of course, if I know a boat works, and it’s on ebay for cheap and shipping makes it worthwhile, then of course, I should entertain the idea.

when my first bilster showed up, that’s what I did, wrap my fingers over the paddle, and that worked. being I’ve only done it once, I have to do it a bunch more times before I know what I’m doing! there is a kayak program at our local olympic pool, I will probably investigate that…as well as ask about lessons from the local shops. I want to know how to roll, successfully! of course, if I’m in a Pungo, I’ll just fall out! LOL!!!

try craigslist
It’s free, person-to-person, prices are reasonable, and there is a separate listing for Vancouver BC. Try

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/boa/

or

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/spo/

type “kayak” in the search box, and hit return.

I swear by it.

E Bay Pungos and bng Big and Round
If you can at least get a Pungo 140 you will be happier than in the Classic, in terms of keeping up with the pack. It isn’t quite so slow.

Watch for used gear on Pnet web site especially. I came up with a great paddle this way.

The guy in the electronics department at Target told me to go to EBay for a GPS. He also told me what to look for and to of course read the seller feedback. I was able to buy a Meridian Marine GPS which in fact is no longer sold, It was New in Box just as advertised. With the money I saved I was able to buy a Magellan North United States special card to put in it.

In my past I only bought things like SHOES off of EBay.

First you need to know how much the items will cost you elsewhere, then determine what your top dollar will be and not get sucked into an auction bidding war. I’ve seen some items go for more on EBay than they are in the stores.

This past week I bought a cell phone PDA from EBAY. I’d been trying for weeks, but my top dollar was always outbid. I figured I would be outbid again but I was not. Everything works and Verizon was nice about switching my dying phone to the replacement, however they did want to know where I got it. They were not upset with me at all.

There were two nice kayaks listed on EBay for about $1,400.00 a piece. Ones I would consider as being for larger heavier people. The problem is the distance and no chance to demo them really.

Folks our size really do need to demo boats and not believe what the manufactures specs say.

As for non cotton clothing - it might be hard to afford so wear something you can easily shed yourself of in an emergency and have a warm change of clothes where you can get to them or packed in a dry bag in your hatch. Keep your eyes open and set some things aside to wear which dry easily.

The Grizzly XXXX wetsuit from NRS is an item you may want to put on your wish list. It sells for about $130.00. Try to find a shop that sells them so you can try some on.

Read all of the classified listings on Pnet and all of the reviews. This is what I do, I read everything and read some more. The more well educated you are the more bargaining power you have. Power mostly in terms of knowing what you need, what you want, and setting spending gear priorities for yourself and sadly also in terms of not being led astray by a dealer in search of a sale.

I ran into one of those dealers once. So instead of driving an hour to his shop - when the time comes I may drive the six hours to Kalamazoo to a shop where I know the sales folks will be down right honest with me.

I paddled a Pungo Classic the first two plus years, now I’m in a previously owned and appreciated 140 and expect to use it for two to three years and keep it forever. I do have extra room in the seat and have to make sure I’m sitting square but I don’t think it is any wider than the Classic, my fat is not on my hips but above them instead. The Pungo 140 is slow and stable and not for rolling or taking out into the Great Lakes or the Ocean. So I’m sure there will be another kayak in my future.

Although I’m basically a novice and a fat paddler who now has some muscles - I think there is no greater high than spending a day paddling at my own pace in my Pungo. Best wishes to you and enjoy.

I’d be happier in a Pungo…
well, being what we have available in the rental fleet, the Pungo right now is all I can get into. it’s amazing what 22" can allow vs. say 19" LOL!

it’s probably going to be along the lines of something I will have to buy, being I have a lot of weight to lose, and I can’t do that overnight…and I’d rather put the money into a boat, rather than renting a beat up baby.

I will have to work on getting some of my gear. I look fwd to reading some beginner books on kayaking and outdoor camping and safety! being the kayak season is winding up for this area (I highly doubt I can do it on a frozen lake or river) it will give me time to look, research and explore!

I 'ppreciate yor time guys, your experience speaks wonders! :smiley:

C