Kayak for heavy newbie

ShadyClip, please explain
why you assume someone will outgrow a 10ft rec kayak? Not everyone wants to go on to ocean or ww kayaking. Not everyone wants “to take on new challenges”. How is someone “being held back” if they are content paddling quiet ponds and babbling brooks as you so quaintly put it? Some of us older folks are are looking for ways to get out in nature that spare our old hips and knees and quiet water paddling does that. I used to be an avid hiker, but the years have taken their toll on mine and I have found paddling a perfect, nearly pain-free way to be in nature. My idea of excitement these days is seeing a family of loons or an eagle. Some posters here, like you, seem to think everyone who takes up a paddle will want to run rapids. Don’t knock what we slowpokes enjoy in our dinky 10-footers!

Or even “dink-ier” 8 1/2 footers…
Well said!

When I go out with my kayak I’m NOT trying to challenge my athletic prowess – I’m out to RELAX!! My days of running bicycle centuries and hill climbs are long over…In the day, it was GREAT!! Now, at 63 and suffering scoliosis…“puddle-paddling” suits me just fine, thanks!!:slight_smile:

Another benefit of little boats
is how easy they are to lug and load. The last thing I want to do is put my back out trying to load a bigger, heavier boat on my SUV. Especially since I often paddle my favorite quiet spots alone. As it is, I need a step ladder to get up high enough to strap my boat down properly. And not everyone can afford a “Hullavator” or other fancy gizmo to help with the loading. I love my 10 foot, 37 lb “kayak-shaped piece of plastic”. It’s perfect for my needs.

Hey, NHpuddlepaddle, have you paddled Grafton Pond?

kayak choices
Most sit on tops are hard to tip over.

Go to a shop and try out the boats they have (should be free)

I have purchased used kayaks which were rentals - could not be happier

good luck

Don’t Be So Defensive
The poster asked why they would want to consider other kayaks mentioned instead of an Old Town Vapor 10’.

My answer was “You can quickly outgrow a short 10 foot recreational kayak – I know I did. If all you are looking to do with a kayak is to take it out to mellow pond or babbling brook and slowly paddle around a few hours they are fine.”

I think I correctly described short rec kayaks – stable, easy to paddle with no skills and meant for calm protected water or easy close to shore streams. You will never learn to roll a rec kayak. You shouldn’t take them into rough water. If you focus on how you paddle, you quickly realize how the kayak holds you back. Just don’t consider yourself an experienced paddler because you don’t tip over in rec kayak.

Again I said they are fine if you just want to paddle around a pond and take pictures of ducks and turtles (I have 100s of pictures like that as does every kayaker) as that is what rec kayaks are for. I recommended the poster look at 12’ over 10’, if they wants to stay with rec kayaks, as it will better distribute their weight.

All of the above answers the question why would someone consider a longer kayak over a 10’, so they have more information as to what they want to choose. I said nothing elitist or insulting.

Don’t worry, be happy

– Last Updated: Jul-20-15 1:30 PM EST –

If you’re happy with your boat, that’s all that counts and you shouldn’t take offense at advice given to newbies to consider longer boats.

I sure could have used such advice before I bought a new 10-foot kayak in late May 2014. I knew nothing about the sport and made the mistake of buying first and then finding this site. I subsequently learned the boat I had purchased wasn’t safe for where I wanted to paddle. I was grateful for that info and was able to find a used longer boat.

Bottom line is if your boat keeps you safe in the conditions you paddle, enjoy it to the fullest. But please don't criticize those who are trying to help others new to the sport.

No-Go on Grafton Pond…
Because I’m rather limited in my travels…I stick to water around the Concord area – Hot Hole Pond, Northwood Lake, Strafford-Bow, Massabesic…

May check out Grafton before Summer’s end, though!!:slight_smile:

Thanx for the suggestion!