Kayak for larger person

Larger kayaker
I am a larger man 330 I went to emotion kayak and got the Tandemonium. I can stand on it.

Here is the link for you.

http://emotionkayak.com/HTML/Kayaks/Tandemonium.html

recently
I purchased a big man kayak, a malibu x factor SOT. I looked at every kayak i could for the best one. I looked at a lot of tandems too. With the emotion being as tandem, where do you paddle solo from? I know that in yaks like a loon 15t, you move the front seat back to the middle, but with SOT’s, the seats don’t move. So where do you sit when solo?

As far as ease of getting into and out of, the SOT is the best choice for us wide loads. I am 6’5, 400 and I had no trouble yesterday getting mine out for a paddle. If someone is 300+, I definately recommend a sot, I have paddled sit ins, and the sot worked out best for me, but hey, everyone is different.

fat and happy paddling!

where they be?
Thanks for starting a thread that draws the big fellas out of the woodwork.

You might even try the new Malibu Kayaks X-13, 13’10" x 29" wide, 57 lbs, load about 450 lbs. Its a SOT. I happen to like their eXtreme, but (IMO) its a bit too large…for handling, for turning, for getting up to speed.

Anyway, folks are hitting the right angles for you to look at. The new Malibu or the Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14.5 are good SitOnTops to look at. The Perception Acadia II 14 and the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T are good SitInside Tandems to try.

Try out everything you can!

Emotion Fisherman
I went with the Emotion Fisherman. This is the first kayak that I have ever owned. I got it from the factory outlet in Wyomissing, PA. Little known fact they sell factory seconds and used kayaks there. Very nice people. I was able to paddle the entire lake without falling off or taking on water. It was a great experience. I am hooked. So, the Emotion Fisherman is another kayak that will work well for a larger person. Thank you everyone. I will continue to see others who have kayaks for larger people. Fat and happy but, hopefully we will all lose a little weight paddling our kayaks.

heavy sucker
The emotion fisherman is very heavy and hard to transport. Big guys reort a wet arse in it also. Doesnt you butt get wet in it.

Not heavier than most other SOT’s
in the same class. Most weigh from 60 to 69 lbs.

not even close
The emotion is 16 feet long the fish and dive is 12-6 inches long. That is a world of difference in storage,transport,and handling on the water.

Not according to the site, its 14 ft
and weighs 65 lbs. The FnD according to Cobra is 60 lbs. Those are probably bare hull weights. Emotion doesn’t list a 16 footer on the website.

emotion fisherman
I got an emotion fisherman pro.

wen i got it i was 290pound…and the buddy that as it before me about the same…we ride that yak completely dry…but we do use scupper plug…never try it witout those…can t say.

that ride is very very stabile.

a very large cockpit

tons off storage and easy to rig.

but yes it is heavy…more heavy then what they say…if you have the pro edition.

but its a great ride no prob to syand up on it to.

joco

Your right
They are heavier than 65lbs We had them here at the shop when the first came out and I could not lift one over my head and carry it. I lift 70lbs Hobie outbacks every day and carry them around. I would guess they were closer to 85 lbs and awkward to carry when they first came out. Maybe they have thinned em out a bit since I retuened them do to lack of intrest in them. They paddled lousy and the cockpits would flood as soon as I sat in them and I only wheigh 200 lbs. Lots of much better choices out there if you want a long kayak. The Hobie quest comes to mind as one of the best that people dont talk about.

Agree about the Quest, its a great
SOT. I’m not sure why it doesn’t sell. By the time you add everything to most SOT’s, the cost isn’t that much different. I’ve paddled one and found it to be as comfortable and easy to paddle as most anything out there. The build quality appeared to be among the best. And, Hobie always has stood behind their products.

No wet behind
I have taken out my fisherman 3 times now and I have only had a wet behind once and that is because it started to rain. It is a little heavy but, I can pick it up and load it using the side handle by myself. I got it at a great buy directly from Emotion (Thanks Josh). I also purchased the high back seat and it is very comfortible. I purchased the 230 cm paddle and it works well. The kayak is slow to start but, onces you get it moving I can keep up with my son and wife who both have the Emotion Glide. It is very stable and I have not fallen off yet. But, all together with the paddle, seat and kayak I spent $594. The kayak was used (I think Josh said it was ued for a training video) but, came with the standard 3 year warrantee offered on all Emotion kayaks.

Always good to hear from an actual user

– Last Updated: May-01-08 12:30 PM EST –

and owner. Good to hear that you are enjoying the kayak. Now, go catch some fish. BTW, that was a good deal, very good deal, on the package.

Yak for big guy

– Last Updated: Jul-27-08 10:23 PM EST –

I am 6'3 and currently weigh about 380 and I paddle a WS pamlico 100. It has plenty of room and is comfortable. I've only paddled flat water and generally stay close to shore. It's a great starter boat and is reasonable priced.

I've also paddled my wife's Dagger Echo 12, which is a nice boat, but I think the cockpit is designed for a shorter person.

WS Tarpon 160i
I weigh 240 and have a Wilderness system tarpon 160i. It is a great Sit on top. I had a sit in for a wile and just didn’t like being stuck in a plastic tube. I would get restless and couldn’t move enough to be confortable. Yes it was faster but I can make 3mph with no problems and 5.3mph if I work hard on my 160i. With the sit on top I can put in anywhere and not worry about rolling over while trying to get in. I have never had a wet ride and water only comes up the holes if I hit a large wave but some foam golf balls fix that. I’ve taken it up creeks to the point to where I didn’t have much water left to paddle in.

For a big person just looking for casual paddling a sit on top is the way to go.

Derek

Enjoy!
It is good exercise.

Another big guy kayak…
I am 6’5 and 300 and I am looking at the Ocean Kayak Trident 15 simply because I am a canoe person and I like a longer boat. It has 550 pound capacity and a rod locker too!

Bruce

big man kayak
Yes, I am 6’ and 290 or so. I got my Loon 138 when i was 340. I load this boat up with gear enough for overnighters on the Wisconsin River and it does extremely well. I can stretch my legs and after 27 trips, i have never even come close to tipping it over. The only water it takes on is from the paddle or rain.

It is agile enough to explore backwaters at high water and handles class 1 and probably class 2 very well.

I load it with a regular size folding chair, tent, sleep pad, tarp, small cooler, pack, sleeping bag, gallon of water, saw, pack stove, hiking boots, tackle box and fishin pole and me. No problem…it is slow? she holds a pace and because it is comfortable I can go for hours and hours. Wind? So what? Just padle and see the sights.

i love my Loon 138 with the old molded seat. And it is tough as hell. And yes 65lbs but I put it up on top of my Chevy Astro Van by myself using a rack that mounts the boat on its side. Another great thing to have by the way.

Pick up the boat on one end, walk your hands under it, flip it over, keep walking until your head is in the cockpit, hit the balance point, let ti tilt, bend your knees and pop it up like doing a clean and jerk.

Read teh classified ads Old Town Loon 138 is your boat. I was laid up after big big surgery and I read everything Kayak I could find as i knew this was something i always wanted to do before the bell and although I had never been in a Kayak before, I knew this was the boat. Then after trying a few, the Loon was the best for guys like us.

just paddle alot. Anyone got a problem with that?

joe

Check out the Native Ultimate…
Yes there is a Kayak for you…it is the Native Ultimate! It has a open deck so it is so easy to get in and out. I think the weigh limit is 350 pounds and there are others out there in the “angler Kayak business” that hold up to 450 pounds.

I just love my boat, even in high winds my boat doesn’t move abit because of the inverse pontoon system it has. I can sit sideway and hang my legs over the side and it doesn’t tip. I am one to do a panic with the thought of going over and with this boat I feel quite safe. Check out angler kayaks and good luck. I fish out of mine and am enjoying every moment. Kathy

kayak
x-factor holds up 650 pound…