Kayak Friendly Car??

me too…
…My wife and best friend both asked me why I insisted on a stick.

just got a new vehicle.
If interested You will have to buy used as 2009 was the last year for them. A Ford "“Taurus X”. Do not get the 2007 model as they had too small of a motor and a constant velocity transmission. The 2008 and 2009 have a larger motor and a 6 speed automatic.

You can seen the Volvo hold over stylings in the vehicle. Looks a bit like a wagon, VERY roomy inside. the roof rack will take Yakima towers. The back seats will all lay flat, along with the passenger seat in the front. Descent gas mileage, 24mph on the highway. Drives and rides like a dream!!

They never advertised them, and made the last ones in 2009(I have a 2009). Do an online search and check one out.

why I “graduated” to an automatic
just to clarify - while I originally learned on an automatic, I then learned to drive a stick on the hills of Ithaca NY - quite the trial by fire and drove a stick for 38 years. I think it was the peculiarities of my Subaru’s clutch which did me in - and my son and husband’s complaints and exaggerated flinging of themselves back and forth as I drove which led me to the conclusion that everyone would prefer I drive an automatic.

I feel badly about it actually, like a sissy. But despite that I really like the Elantra, and my husband when he condescends to drive it, switches into D2 when he needs additional power. Brrhhhmm Brrhhmm

Elantra Touring horsepower
Does the Elantra Touring really have enough horsepower for highway driving, hills, wind, etc? I think I read that it’s 138 hp. I’m intrigued by what you’ve all said, but need some reassurance about the horses.

I think so…

– Last Updated: Sep-29-10 11:14 PM EST –

......but I've never had fast cars before. I have used Toyota trucks for hauling hang gliders and kayaks for the past 30-some years. I've always chosen the 4 cylinder so never had a ton of power. They worked fine for hauling loads over the Cascades, freeway commute, etc. The ET feels a lot more powerful then any of those trucks ever did. It certainly accelerates more quickly. If you are used to driving cars with tons of power the 138 or whatever HP might dissappoint you.
I don't know. The ET goes faster and is quicker with two boats on top than any one of my trucks ever was. Go test drive one. It might feel right to you.

Jon

http://3meterswell.blogspot.com/

Plenty For Me
I hauled myself and 3 big passengers, a weekend’s worth of groceries, and 4 road bikes up a mountain with no problem. The road was dirt and gravel. The electronic stability control thing wasn’t disabled so it may have prevented some slipping. 75 mph on the interstate isn’t a strain. Cruise control is nice.

Going to drive it
You and Kudzu have made some very good comments about the Elantra Touring. Just found out a neighbor has one and loves it, although he’s not carrying boats or bikes. I might look at the Scion xB, too, since another paddler’s wife loves it, and they haul their canoes with it. Thanks.

I Test Drove a Scion or Two
I wasn’t very impressed. One that I drove had the hardest car seat I ever sat in. Like driving a pew.

nissan frontier, 4WD
I love my nissan frontier. Can use a bed extender for the longer 16’ kayak, just drop the tailgate and strap the 14’ tarpon in. Probably more important to get a car or truck you like, then modify it for kayak transport. I have seen 1 1/2" PVC used to make a bed extender for a truck. After all, the kayak really does not weigh that much. I have another truck with 3/4 inch pipe from lowes on top of the topper, came that way when I bought it, been working fine. Used to just throw pool noodles on the plymouth breeze, ran straps through the door opening, then shut the doors. Also had a trailer hitch put on when I got a canoe with a trolling motor. John

I love my Frontier, too, but
the OP did ask for a car, not a truck. Big diff if rooftopping. Not an issue if trailering is an option.