Kayak-Getting in-out with low human flexibility

I have an extra challenge: a dock 12+ inches above the water level. And water too muddy & weedy to flirt with getting into the water. No injuries but a little overweight, aged 61 & not an athlete. Spent my first summer trying 100s of different methods with my family scoring each effort 1-10 (this was during the Olympics). Final methods that got me perfect 10s:

To get in, pull the side of kayak up to the dock, sit on the edge of the dock with legs hanging into the cockpit in front of the seat and just drop in. I also have a leash attached to the front that I can hang on to if I want to lower myself more slowly. Feels sketchy but has never failed me. I have a typical rec kayak (Pelican Mustang 100) so pretty hard to tip.

To get out is a little trickier. Pull along side dock. Pull feet as close to butt as possible (wish I could get them under the seat), reach far forward & grab the post of the dock & pull yourself up (I have tried pulling myself up with the leash but canā€™t manage it). For a second you are standing in the kayak which definitely feels sketchy but quickly drop your butt onto the dock. Now you have to stand up on the dock so I recommend a quick check to make sure no one is watching as you boost your ass into the air. A great loss of dignity but weā€™ll worth it. In my case the water is shallow enough and the kayak is between the dock posts and cattails so no need to tie up to the dock but thatā€™s an option.

As my skeleton & muscles crumbles, Iā€™ll have to adapt but Iā€™m never giving up. Will install a crane lift if necessary!

2 Likes

Be sure to paddle with folks that can help you. If need be try this with someoneā€™s help - put kayak on itā€™s side and swim in (get legs in and butt on seat (scoop method). The rescuer then pushes down on the side of the kayak or can grab you and pull up. Hereā€™s one video. Master the Sea Kayak Scoop Rescue for Injured Paddlers | Adventure Kayak | Rapid Media - YouTube

Well donā€™t worry you can un-wear any kayak.

Another self rescue method is to crawl from the bow over the kayak towards the stern until you can drop your legs into the cockpit. Then rotate into the seat and start bailing.
There is also the ā€œCowboyā€ self rescue, but it seems to require a fair amount of flexibility since it involves a lot of bending.
Best self rescue is to not be a self rescue. Paddle with someone who knows how to help. Hereā€™s an assisted rescue video. Heel Hook - Kayak Rescue - YouTube
Basically, there is no smooth easy way that I know of to get back into a kayak in the middle of waves/wind.

Applause and Bravo!
For me straddling just doesnā€™t work. My recreational kayak is a little too wide and Iā€™m a little too short.

Iā€™m just amazed at reading all these responses, how many people out there with limited mobility are doing whatever it takes to get in their yaks and paddle. Bravo!!

5 Likes

Iā€™d rather burn out than wither away.

2 Likes