Kayak Information

I wouldn’t use it on any creek or beach
where it might take a serious hit. Not if its chopper gun construction.

There are two phone numbers
actually. Both international numbers. Since I don’t speak Portuguese I have not tried them. I was just curious and have always had good luck finding things out on the forum. I appreciate all your help. I will let the kids use it. They think it is cool. I have two other kayaks for myself. We live on a slow moving creek/river and it is fine for the flat water. The gel coat may take a beating though. We have a concrete bulkhead that they just can’t seem to keep the boats off of.

I’m not trying to speak the the material
I stay out of chopper gun FG arguments, given the mix of boats we have in the basement.

I was just speaking to this boat’s design. It’s certainly not for ocean going trips, and from the photos it has too much rocker to be intended to get around flat water straight and true.

Don’t worry about the gel coat…
…it’s a sacrificial layer, after all. If it gets beat up, it’s just doing its job. Easy to patch if/when necessary (and it’s not necessary at every instance of scratching or gouging; far from it, in fact).

Melissa

It has a fixed skeg. It should go
straight adequately.

OK - I’m all wrong
It’ll handle a windy day just fine without making a new paddler work for it.

By the way…
you must have had a reason for trading the canoe out. Was it a heavy old clunker that you didn’t want to haul around any more so this seemed lighter and still floated, or did you have some kayaking-related stuff in mind? Not being nosy, it’s just that the dialogue is going to durability so it might matter if it is to be used for other than young kids bumping it into solid objects.

We traded the canoe because of its size.
I bought it about 10 yrs ago when my oldest son was young. Nice 13ft canoe was great for myself and a child. Two adults makes it a little unstable though, especially with a load. The younger kids got a jon boat with a small motor on it for Christmas and seldom use the canoe anymore. We have recently began kayaking and there are 6 of us. We still need three more kayaks so we don’t have to borrow from friends. We basically traded the canoe because the kids liked the kayak better. Probably pick up a larger canoe at some point. They are on craigslist everyday.

OK - ideas to mull over

– Last Updated: Mar-01-10 10:01 AM EST –

If there are six of you thinking about kayaking, you will probably run into a bunch of different interests within that. Park and play, or touring quiet stuff, etc.

WW boats happen to be better at being available in smaller sizes than long boats, and turn around used a lot. They aren't much for crossing a distance at speed, but for something that'll float creeks and take some damage from hitting concrete bulkheads a WW boat is perfect.

If you have someone who is thinking of longer paddles on bigger water bodies, even flat, you'll want a boat that has things like deck rigging so a self-rescue is a possibility. And that has some hull speed and tends to really like going straight, unlike most WW boats.

So - one thing you could do is post everyone's size here - height and weight - and just ask for a list of touring or WW boats that you should keep an eye out for on used lists. That way you would be ready to jump on a deal if it showed up. It would also give you a chance to try some of these boats if you went somewhere on a tour, or look at them if you are near an outfitter's place.