Kayak Inside-Cockpit Gear Hammock?

except a flooded day hatch
will not make the boat too unstable or too heavy for surf. A flooded cockpit is a mite different.

I revised my post above

– Last Updated: Jun-15-04 1:06 PM EST –

and sort of reframed the question. Would like your input on the "What do you need to access?" part.

I'm not anti day hatch at all. Just don't have one so UD bag was best option. If I had a day hatch, I might still intall a bag. Both are mighty handy.

As for techniques I'd like to learn - a very long list. Techniques I can manage - VERY few.

Another option
would be a dual access knee tube/torpedo tube. Two tupperware lids: One inside at the close end of the tube (for major rooting around - like UD bag)- another up on deck just ahead of teh coaming (for quick access). Bit of a reach through that top one on a long cockpit though…

Might be sweet with an ocean cockit. Foredeck hatch would be much closer at hand!!!

Yep sounds nice for those with room

– Last Updated: Jun-15-04 1:33 PM EST –

sea kayaker even did an article about prtting a hole in your neo spray deck for access to a knee tube, without totally compromising your deck.

Maybe I should have never sold the quest. With my big legs and the explorer I can only fit a pump under the deck.

Skirt hatch
Yup, seen it somewhere. One I saw had a 4" Beckson type hatch with clear cover. Nice idea - but I don’t like the idea of having big hard plastic parts on my skirt - and neo deck (my preference) flexes a lot - so not so great.

Maybe an all Tupperware version - with flexible rim AND cover? Rim that is stitchable would be nice. Time for a provisional patent application…

Messing with a lid is a pain though. Another simpler option:

Have skirt only open 1/4 on first pull, rest of the way with a little more or a bit of a wiggle. Just enough to expose upper end of keyhole (can’t see this working on a shorter ocean cockpit). That should be easy. Just two small bumps under the lip of the coaming at the right spots. Enough to limit the slip, but not impede full opening…

Hey! Stop helping me get more outfitting ideas! I need to work on skills, not equipment!

Big legs
A UD bag or knee tube usually rides between shins, not thighs (at least with keyhole coaming). Your calves that big? Keep lower legs together? I don’t remember the Explorer being THAT tight - but it’s been over a year and I wasn’t paying attention to room as I had plenty (and I’m now having a flashback and low rear deck envy! Biggest thing missing on Q700. They should have dropped it 3" on this latest deck change!).

Calves are 20 inches around in drysuit
Tight is a relative thing my friend! I could get one in the but I’d rather be able to stretch through the middle. + I like my pump there.

Not that big
20" calf sounded big even with drysuit - but mine are around 17" w/o drysuit - so not as big as I thought.

Explorer must just be that much smaller cockpit. Q700 gives me room for bag - and pump above bag (takes up no more room to have it there) - and plenty of wiggle room.

Just goes to show how listed dimensions don’t tell the whole story!

What IS the front deck height on the Explorer (standard yes? Not HV/LV) anyway? I know it’s 0.5" wider - and widest point is farther forward (on Q700 widest point is aft - Swedeform). Just curious - as I like the boat a lot. If only it were a bit lighter and faster it wouda been a contenda…

I’ll get to you in the next couple of
days. I’ll pull this post and replace it.

Nobody buys an explorer for all out speed. it’s all about secondary stability, rough water performance, and exquisite balance in wind even with the skeg up.

All that I know about it - no rush…
…on the numbers. Like I said, just curious.

If I really needed to know sooner, I’d post the question, or just bring a tape measure and make a club paddle this weekend! Quaranteed to be at least one there.

As popular as they are, and knowing how deck heights are part of that, I’m surprised I couldn’t find out with a quick search! I can see how much higher the HV deck is, and how much lower the LV, but not the staring point L

If it’s any help…
The one in my CD Caribou fits great, once in, you don’t know it’s there. The Caribou is not a large volume boat and I would never be without it now…

Just use the recommended glue… GH

If it doesn’t fit in the dya hatch,
you probably don’t need it.

Mine routinely has all of the following in it.

First Aid Kit in a waterproof container

Emergency kit in a dry bag that has flare gun, extra flares, duct tape, MarineTex, Leqtherman, electrical tie wraps, and a large plastic trash bag.

Three Parachute flares (too big to fit in my emergency bag),

Skeg removal tool

Neoprene hood

Paddling jacket

Snacks

dive goggles

extra water bottle

Not only can I get to all of this gear, but there’s still room for more.

Instead of twisting behind you to get things out, do it by feel. If you always put things in the same place, it’s easy to get to them.

Also the one armed scull that Peter was talking about is not difficult to learn. Just takes a little practice.

When I first got my day hatch equiped boat, I felt I would capsize everytime I opened the hatch–now it’s no big deal anytime.

Howd’ya get that pump
glued in above the NW UD bag, Greyak? One of your pics shows it defying gravity without the UD bag installed. Is it too heavy to just sit atop the bag?

Thanks!

Tom

I am the go to guy when someone
needs something on the water. I love paddling with people, sometimes like last weekend, I get to paddle with just a friend or two, who are as competent (and incompetent, more or less) as I am. We push each other past artificial boundaries but are friends enough not to allow each other to mess with real ones. These folks rarely need anything out of my day hatch.

sometimes folks in larger less experienced groups need medication, (motrin anti-diarrheals

antacids etc), extra water, ginger, calories, a neoprene hood, alcohol based hand cleaner sunscreen etc.

I like keeping the radio there on mild days, maybe a parachute flare there on days thing might be different, My first aid kit is about as big as a football, and if you’ve ever needed butterfly closures put on you on the water, you would want to be able to do that for someone else if needed. I am thinking about carrying one of those fancy led flashlight curing epoxy kits for on the water boat repair. Derek H did a bunch of work on having a paddler sit on the front deck and hauling a boat across the coaming for repair. My pond skills group practiced this a bunch last summer but now that I am spending so much time working I am getting far less practice time in. Still think I could pull it off though. even in some chop.

Greeks have this thing about being good and generous hosts. The legend of the Gods coming down to visit in the guise of humans really affected me when I read it about age 6. I made spanakopita for 108 wedding guests from fresh spinach with my own hands. (believe me if I could have purchased that dish at a quality to surve my guests I would have, It took four hours just to wash and de-vein the spinach. We take care of our guests and friends. I think this should give you a perspective on my stance as far as on the water physical resources goes, first from safety, then from taking care of my people.

Anti-gravity! L
Hmm… or is the picture upside down?

Actually it’s right side up (should have taken the pump out for that shot).

I used to just slide it in on top of the bag. Was OK.

Then I took out the foot braces and rails and replaced them with the foam to give that full foot brace surface you see - and fill up some unused cockpit volume.

When I went to put the pump in - it was now a bit too long! East fix: I cut a hole for the last few inches of it into the foam. Snug enough to stay put - but still pull it out easily. So now it’s back where it was above the bag, but no also very secure and not going to fall out, with or without the bag.