kayak knife

Here is a good one
http://store.yahoo.com/irawoodinc/buti18.html

AFAIC and EOD???
“As far as I’m concerned” but what does “EOD people” mean?

Jeff

EOD=Explosive Ordnance Disposal
EOD=Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Not a low risk Job!

Leatherman
The Leatherman Wave is the only knife I carry. It’s made for water. It has both blunt serrated and standard blades. It can be carried in the pocket of your vest. Don’t clip any knife on your vest. It’s pricey but a very handy tool.

I carry my Comp titanium folder

– Last Updated: Apr-19-05 10:45 AM EST –

on my BCU when I dive, on a self-retracting tether. Comps are really cheap for titanium, and are available through www.diversdirect.com. The retracting tethers are available at any dive shop.

I used to carry a Spyderco Delica with me sea kayaking, but got tired of spraying it with silicone to keep it from spotting with rust.

I just bought a new Spyderco made with "H1" steel that is made with nitrogen in place of carbon. It's supposed to have the edge-retention and strength near stainless, but the corrosion resistance near titanium. Haven't had it for a full season, so I can't really vouch for it yet. It also comes in a sheepsfoot blade if you are worried about a sharp, pointy tip.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=40

I carry mine in a pocket on my PFD,
not strapped to it. I don’t want to look like Rambo.

Lots of blunt end dive knives on market

Leatherman…
…i totally agree…has everything you’ll need for 35-40 bucks…and it will last!!!

Liv2padl
You asked me “do you carry a ‘toilet kit’, extra rope, duct tape, nail clippers, sun screen, bug dope, water proof matches, glass repair kit and head lamp on your PFD as well?” NO I DON’T CARRY THEM ON MY PFD AS THEY ARE NOT WHAT I CONSIDER EMERGENCY ITEMS. I do how ever carry them for most paddles. I do consider my knife a very important item to carry ON ME. I have never had to use it to save my life yet but if I ever do I will have it right where I need it, not in a hatch that I can’t reach. I also have a strobe on my PFD when I paddle at night just in case I need it.

I think
I think that what most people were trying to convey here,regarding the “kewl factor” is that it may look cool to carry a blade inverted, in a sheath mounted to the front of your PFD on the shoulder strap.

I went through some of these “gear” stages when I served in the military and on tactical teams…but lets face it, keep it simple and streamlined…especially in kayaking. You don’t need to attach a bunch of stuff to the exterior of your PFD to later get hung up on things later.

As far as a knife is concerned…again, keep it simple if you wish to carry one. A small Bench Mark or similiar serrated blade (small) kept folded inside a PFD pocket will suffice if you needed to use it in the event of an emergency.

I use this one…
It’s upside down on my left side of PFD. I can get to it with either hand.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/underseassports-store/ukramoraknife.html

That Knife
That knife is okay for rafters that can get hung up in serious whitewater. How is it useful for kayakers or canoeists?

I have a similar one…
…and found that it wasn’t very useful at all. It also posed a serious danger when it inevitably came out of its sheath (I kept it tethered). Ultimately, I switched to a Benchmade Model H2O Rescue hook. I haven’t needed to use it, either, but at least I don’t have to worry about it if it comes loose (it hasn’t yet).

BTW, knives similar to the UK are available for ~$20, sometimes even less.

"Kewl factor"
Funny.

I launched near Wickford last week and had one of the local constables checking out my boat as I was moving gear back and forth to my truck. His eyes spotted my Gerber River knife attached to my PFD almost immediately when I walked past him with my boat…at least he didn’t reach for his weapon!

What do you think he would have said if I pulled it out of my pfd pocket? “Sir, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon here in …”.

Just a funny thought. Not that anyone would think a kayaker with a black boat would be a terrorist or anything…

;^)

Knifes
I often fish from a canoe or kayak in rivers where the water level fluctuates greatly due to water releases from upstream dams. Several years ago I was doing just that - fishing in a back eddy (anchored out of the main current) when I noticed the water begin to rise. I wasn’t to concerned since I was out of the main current and had floated this river before in heavy current. As the water rose the river dynamics changed rapidly and my back eddy becme part of the main current. As you might expect the canoe was now beginning to be pulled rather hard by the current and I realized that I needed to pull the anchor. Of course the current was pulling so hard by the time I came to this realization that I could not disengage it from the rocky bottom. In only a matter of seconds the tension on the anchor line had pulled the canoe down to within inches of the gunnals. Luckily I had a fishing knife with me. By the time I touched the knife to the anchor rope the tension was so high that I shot foreward like I had been launched from an aircraft carrier. Unfortunateky my wife was in the front of the canoe during this whole episode. She hasn’t forgiven me to this day. (I know you’re thinking “what an iodit” but I learned from this and won’t make that mistake again) In any case I’m glad I had a knife handy.

Whenever there’s a rope in the water…
…you need to have a means of cutting it readily at hand. Whether it’s an anchor rope or tow line, or you use a knife, hook or shears is irrelevent.

waht to carry on my PFD
One rule I use on what to keep with me and what to keep in the boat is; would I need it if I was seperated from my boat?