Kayak leash

I didn’t lose the boat
I didn’t lose the boat that time. Also, I am a SOT guy, so your trick will not work for me. Since, sometime, I am paddling 2-3 miles into the ocean, I want to reduce the risk… Howver, I got great ideas from the forum. Thank you guys, see u in San Diego, so I wouldn’t have to paddle alone!

Did you ever get the boat back?

It’s simple
A wave tosses the boat, which is attached to the paddle and yanks it out of your hand. Not so hard to imagine, is it?

I agree with you about the “phone cord” leashes. They are one of the worst kayak gear ideas I’ve ever seen.

As for Greyaks point, there is virtually no risk of injury from the wrist leash. All you have to do is let go of the paddle with the other hand, which is commonly taught as an injury avoidance technique in surf. The leash is made of bungee cord, so it absorbs shock. In a pinch, the leash can be slipped off easily. The main thing is that it poses ZERO entrapment hazard.

FWIW, since switching to Greenland paddles, I no longer use a leash at all, but I do have a spare paddle on the foredeck at all times.

Sure
My point was that one should look to solve the root cause of the problem (bad judgement) before considering equipment “crutches”. People are often too quick to plunk down a credit card, rather than learning the more valuable lesson.

Also, beginners are not often in a position to make good judgements about equipment solutions. For example, I went through several iterations of leashes before I found one that did what I needed without causing other problems. Particularly where a piece of gear could pose an entrapment or strangulation hazard, knowledge is key to safety. Read Chris Duff’s explanation of his tether system and you’ll find he’s well aware of the hazards of it and uses it only under specific conditions. More importantly, there are specific conditions where he doesn’t use it.

A paddle will not work as a sea anchor
Think about it. Unless the force of the water on the paddle is PERFECTLY balanced left to right, the paddle will simply pivot until it is parallel with the force. If the leash can slip on the paddle, it will slide to one end until it is stopped by the drip ring or blade.

In Big Surf It Will

– Last Updated: Feb-06-04 12:38 PM EST –

A paddle will work as a sea anchor in big surf or big swellls. I have seen it myself.

You are probably right about flatwater, but if it is flat, why would you fall out of the boat?

Leash experiences…
I used to always use a paddle leash, now I rarely do. I’m not against the idea, just had more problems with the leash cord than it was worth. I think that as my paddling progressed I’m not nearly as likely to lose my boat or paddle as I am to have an entanglment issue. Without going into humerous details, on two occasions while sculling and rolling to show off, the damn leash ended up wrapped around my skirt toggle and me, forcing a wet exit (both times with an appreciative audience). Haven’t used a leash in the 2 years since. The only nice thing about the leash was the ability to drop the paddle at any time without parking it. I always carry a spare paddle when paddling alone.

Not from what I’ve seen
In big waves, paddles seem to travel faster than boats do (SINKS, anyway), probably because they’re easier to toss around. In big wind, the opposite is probably the case, but I can’t say I’ve experienced it.

I guess it all depends on your specific conditions and type of boat, but relying on a paddle to slow down a boat seems like wishful thinking to me.

Parking a paddle
If you set up your bow rigging right, it’s simple to stash the paddle the paddle there. In addition to eliminating the entrapment hazard, the paddle is always within immediate reach should you capsize.

My point was
that non-breaking waves don’t do the kind of violent tossing or jerking that should separate you from your boat. If you’re losing your grip in open water, you’re not holding on very well.

As to wrist leashes, my concern isn’t injury, it’s whether they really add any security. I guess there’s maybe some value if you need to use both hands to get back into the kayak, but otherwise, I’d just hang onto the dang thing.

I suspect that part of the reason for our different thinking on this stuff has to do with what and where we paddle.

Probably Right About SINKS

– Last Updated: Feb-06-04 6:25 PM EST –

You are probably right about Sinks. Sinks tend to fill with water when swamped in a wet exit so they will probably not get away from you, anyway. An extra paddle on decklike your Greenland Storm paddles would take care of a lost paddle.

SOT's don't ever swamp and they move pretty fast in a high wind and surf when empty. Losing a boat that way is a major concern. I strongly recommend a leash for an SOT on the ocean, especially for surfing, or if the trip includes surf landing or launch.

A leash has saved my butt before, and I know from exprience it does slow down a surfing SOT.

I don't know enough about Sinks to express an opinion, but I would guess a leash could easily cause more problems than it would solve for someone with a good roll.

Leashes are habit forming
I like my paddle leash as it allows me to quickly and silently retrieve my camera for a fast shot. I always said I wouldn’t have one, but received it as a gift and have come to rely on it. So much so that I often forget and simply drop my paddle to do whatever, even though the leash may not be attached!

Ah, see…
…you have a specific need for which a paddle leash is appropriate. I can stash my paddle in a heartbeat, but doing so quietly is another thing…

That makes sense.
I can see how having an SOT blow away from you is more likely.

I’m also a SOT guy who goes solo
on the ocean quite a bit. I use both a paddle leash and a boat teather.

The paddle is leashed to the boat with a Surf to Summit bungee leash - I clip the leash to a pad eye on the center console of my boat.

The boat is teathered to me using a modified bow painter. The painter is about 15’ long with one end cliped to the bow pad eye, excess length is “wrapped” with a light elastic band which will break under any pressure, a large “eye” splice at the other end allows me to “wear” it like a bandolier, over my left shoulder and under my right arm. I adapted this set up from information provided by Tom Hotley on the SOT web forum at http://www.TopKayaker.net

I hope this helps!

That sounds like Audrey Sutherland’s
setup, and she’s got a whole lot of solo miles behind her in some pretty interesting places.

Thank you
guys for the great ideas. Paddle on!