Kayak loading on car with rear spoiler?

Spoiler - no problem
Hi,

For several years my wife and I have used a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder (with a spoiler) to carry our kayaks. We have Thule kayak saddles on Thule crossbars. To load a kayak, we place an old towel on a rear saddle, place the bow of the kayak on the towel, and lift the stern of the kayak and push it forward without touching the spoiler (or touching it just a little if we’re tired). The unload process is the reverse.

We have had no problems with this method.

Good luck,

Adrian

Saw a New Fusion Today…
It had a little raised ridge on top of and integral to the trunk lid.

It would be a stretch for me to call that a spoiler. Maybe if you are Ford or a salesman and trying to hype the Fusion as a sporty car. Depending on what material the trunk is made of, it may or not support a heavy kayak…

All I know… GH

Cut it off
Are you more serious about motorsports or paddlesports… I say cut it off and don’t worry about it anymore.

It’s probably not strong enough to lever your boat up anyway.

Actually, I’d find a way to load the boat from the side. My car is low enough and I am tall enough that I can slide the canoe on the Mercedes from the side. I just sort of lift it up by the yoke and slide er over.

-James

http://www.adventurecanoe.com

yes
My BBK Valkyrie loads just fine onto my prius, which does have a rear spoiler. The BBK is very light, however (32 lbs). I also have a Hobie Adventure Island sailing kayak, and that’s more like 70 lbs. I drag that over the rear spoiler as well (on the rare occasions that I have to load it solo). So far, no damage, but it’s not something I like to do. Then again, car appearances don’t much matter to me. If the spoiler breaks, big deal.

loading kayak over a spoiler
Have you tried using a Roller Loader?

Have you?
Won’t work

No need to “try”

loading kayak over a spoiler
Yes I will post photos