Kayak Paddle advice for first timer

Let me know about those Greenland paddles he has in there after you meet up with him… I might be interested in those, but don’t feel like driving down to Goffstown unless it’s worth it lol.

Those 2 on the far right look like the best ones, all carbon. The ones with the colored blades are fiberglass. The Greenland paddles look potentially nice as well. Hope it works out!

I managed to grab the 230cm fiberglass Werner paddle from that FB marketplace link you posted. I would have bought a 240 as well if he had one but 230 was the longest available and all others were considerably shorter (too short for me). I will give this one a try, and try some others over this season to figure out what works for me before thinking about buying one new. I have a feeling I’ll have this forever as my spare/backup paddle at a minimum! Thanks again everyone for your helpful tips.

Excellent! You might like the 230 just fine. Let us know how it works out for you.

I paddle my tandem 21’ x 32" Libra with a 215 Ikelos no problem low and high angle.

2 Likes

I just went through the same process, and I ended up with an adjustable Werner Shuna. On mine the length is adjustable from 200-220 cm (I keep it at 210 cm), and the feathering up to 60º either way (I keep it at 0º). I just bought a sea kayak and this is a paddle than many sea kayakers use – it has worked for me. There is probably a low angle paddle that is adjustable if you would prefer that. I would go with a straight shaft until you have some time in the boat – keep it simple.

1 Like