Kayak Paddle Choice

Thanks – learning a lot
but clearly I’ll need to test some paddles, and take notes on what I like, before buying.

Greg – you mentioned blade length as in indicator (low = longer). That does appear to be roughly consistent with the high or low labels given by paddle manufacturers:

(all lengths in cm)

Low Angle

Epic Relaxed Touring 50

Werner Skagit 49

AB Manta Ray 45.7

Mid Angle

AB Sting Ray 45.7

High Angle

Epic Active Touring 47.5

Werner Shuna 46

Werner Cyprus 46

Werner Tybee 43

Do You Roll?
or plan to learn?

haven’rt rolled yet
but I’ve signed up for a series of lessons. Rolling is included.

For Me
and many others, the Greenland paddle is THE tool for rolling. It zips to where you want it while concave / Euro shapes drag. My roll took off when I switched to the GP.

A vote for the Epic Relaxed Tour
I’m 5’10" and use the 205 to 215. My best backup is a Aquabound manta ray in 205 that I had to special order in that length.

The 230 stuff they carry in stores is really only good for rec boat lilly dipping and canoes. Notice how whote water paddlers almost always use paddles shorter than 200 and flat water races use paddles 215 and shorter unless they are really strong giants.

I’m getting closer to a decision

– Last Updated: Sep-02-15 6:46 PM EST –

There are some good end of summer paddle sales happening -- prices for some options are starting to come down to my budget range. I've more or less narrowed it down to either the Werner Camano or Werner Shuna (FG, not carbon blade), and maybe the Swift Mid-Swift. Today (an even-numbered day) I'm leaning toward the Shuna. Trying each on the water is not feasible for me, so I have to rely on reviews and recommendations, as well as physical specs. In that regard, if you didn't know which one the manufacturer has labeled low angle or high angle, what would you conclude with these dimensions?

Camano: wt. 27.5 oz., area 650 cm2, length 52 cm
Shuna: 27.25 oz., 615 cm2, 46 cm
Mid-Swift: 29.5 oz., 645 cm2, 45.72 cm

No takers?
I guess my question sounded rhetorical, or… wait, is there a three-day weekend coming?

It’s confusing (to me at least) that the Camano, with the largest blade area, is billed as the low-angle paddle, and the Shuna, with the smallest blade area, is billed as the high angle paddle. Compounding the confusion, the Mid Swift (which is agnostic on paddle angle), has a shorter (by a tad) blade length than Shuna, and a blade area almost as big as the Camano.

I’m starting to think that the optimal paddle for me would be either a low angle paddle that can best handle a high angle stroke when forced to by the paddler, OR a high angle paddle that can best handle a low angle stroke when the paddler wants it to do so.

Thoughts?

greg was right re: terminology

– Last Updated: Sep-04-15 2:37 PM EST –

This is purely anecdotal but it's hard to go wrong with the Camano or Mid Swift. I had a Camano for a long time until I eventually abused it beyond repair, and I do mean "abused". You'll be able to paddle low or hi angle with either (chances are you'll be able to roll with w/either also - but as a euro paddle user I have to admit that rolling with a GP is easier).

The Werner Kalliste is a "low angle" blade, for reference.

I haven't used anything approaching a 230 since my first paddle. I feel pretty comfortable steering you away from that length.

One other option is to contact Patrick at Onno Paddles, you may (or may not) spend a bit more, but it's a paddle you'll enjoy for a long time.This is his passion and he's engaging with people who need guidance.

Try a Wind Swift
Way more efficient than a mid swift

Paddle comparisons
Werner’s Camano is to the Little Dipper as the Corryvreken is to the Shuna.

The Corryvreken would compare to the Camano as the larger bladed version in high vs. low angle. Similarly, the smaller bladed high angle Shuna would compare to the smaller bladed low angle Little Dipper.

The difference between the big blade and the smaller blade in either style is roughly 100 cm2.

It’s really a matter of your paddling style and cadence whether you choose high or low angle. In general, if you are going to paddle high angle you will want a shorter shaft length than in a lower angle paddle. You can paddle with either one as high or low angle, but remember that the high angle designs are optimized for high angle paddling and the low angle designs are optimized for low angle paddling.

I am slightly shorter than you, and converted from a low angle to high angle stroke when I got serious about sea kayaking. I am currently using a 210cm paddle, but often feel that is too long and that I might prefer a 205cm.

For the record, I started with a 230cm, moved to a 220cm, then a 215cm, and finally a 210cm. The 230cm and 220cm were low angle designs. I later switched to high angle designs with the 215cm and now 210cm.

YMMV.

Personally
I would not buy any paddle that I didn’t demo for at least 3 hrs, regardless of the price. tkamd

Don’t Be Put Off…
by the ‘organic’ nature of a Greenland paddle. It doesn’t need to made of wood and you don’t have to change the way you spell your words after you own one! It’s a fantastic, simple tool that works really well. There’s no up or down or ‘power face’ to think about. They come naturally indexed, too.

My first love is the road bicycle. The thing is a mix of titanium, carbon fiber, aluminum, etc. It’s a great tool for the job. My paddles are Western Red Cedar; also great tools for the job.

Stingray…
I recently bought a used rental Singray hybrid 220 for use with my guest boat. My other paddles are Werner CF and I don’t lend them to just anyone.

I think the quality is great for the price and coming out of the rental pool in nice shape speaks for itself.

A good all around paddle and I often use it myself.

My recollection is that the Camano
requires more effort than the Mid Swift.

My choice is the full carbon Epic Relaxed Tour with burgundy shaft, because it feels easier on my body than the Camano and Mid Swift, but it’s also used at 205cm most of the time and the other two are fixed at 220cm.

Good luck.

EPIC RELAXED TOUR ?

– Last Updated: Sep-05-15 11:17 AM EST –

TWO PADDLES are needed. spare goes on deck.

Aqua Bound paddles sport an inferior connector. A paddle for your favorite Boy Scout if you live in Poverty.

Mine is epoxied together with an ID oak dowel from McmasterCarr joining with Gflex. The joined AB halves give an outstanding platform for a leg over paddle float re entry. Super.

Before buying wander off to the paddle shop in your AMG MB wagon grab the lightest most expensive paddle....ask the attendee for one. Smile.

wave this beauty around for a coupla minutes...in a clear space of course. Doahn knock over the carabiner rack

then check out what REI/CAMPMOR/EMS/NRS are selling in carbon shafts/fiberglass blades.

REI REI

– Last Updated: Sep-05-15 11:29 AM EST –

has a sale. Buy a Werner Camano, join up n apply for the credit card.

get the other stuff while there...cockpit cover, foam carrying blocks ? Campmor as blocks. Buy a signal mirror and whistle. A see thru vinyl dry bag and a small Pelican/Otter/otherwise box for keys, cards, bills/change.

1/8th" shock cord makes a paddle leash. Get 50'
Campmor has neo. Best buys.

ach
the REI sale is a dog…after the Solstice REI may sell the highest cost item in an order for 20% off…

Finding a cheap used paddle n waiting until 2016 for a buy is possible.

Glass Werner Shuna 210cm
Can’t really go wrong with that. Will also make an excellent backup paddle in a few years once you get everything dialed in. Lendal also makes really nice stuff but that’s just confusing the issue.

Thanks to Everyone who Responded
despite the holiday weekend. Lots of good thoughts. I can’t respond to all, but am grateful to all.

REI sale (“up to 30% off!”)-- On Monday I drove (Toyota Highlander, no Mercedes) all the way out to the REI at Bailey’s Crossroads, VA. I live in Maryland, but the BC REI was rumored to be the best in the area for kayak stuff. Nice selection of paddles, several of which I “demo-ed” in the aisle. But it turned out that NONE of the paddles were on sale!

I liked the Camano FG, and yesterday found it online for $220 (MSRP is $275). I pulled the trigger on it.

see my post above
I hung it in the wrong place and don’t know how to move it… :frowning: