Kayak paddle dumping water in cock pit

Whoops!
Me bad arithmetic - I converted that length wrong. Yes, that paddle is on the short side. Thanks Willowleaf.

Dripping water is only a problem when…
it drips in your Beer! :smiley:

what would you suggest
Around a 90" I assume?

agreed
I am completely on board with leaving the “wrist-cock” out. It’s interesting how many people paddle feathered only to return to unfeathered.

How wide is your boat, how tall are you?
Put these two measurements on the board and people can help better. Or take them over to the Werner paddle web site and put them into their paddle fit chart. Here’s the link to the Fit Guide -

http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit_guide/

need height
Yeah, we need to know your height,and whether you are long or short waisted. (I am 5’ 5" but have long legs so the part of me that is sticking above the kayak cockpit is more like that of a 5’ 2" person). That and the boat dimensions determines the geometry of reaching the paddle to the water. Also the way you use it. Efficient paddling involves torso rotation so you are moving your body along with the paddle – if you sit with your chest facing forward and just windmill with your arms and shoulders you are more likely to bang your knuckles with any length paddle (and that is less efficient and more likely to result in fatigue and even injury on longer trips).

The longest paddles that are commonly available are 240 cm (94 1/2"). You can get 250 and 260 but generally only in more costly paddles. If you’re around 6’ a 240 cm would probably be fine. That size is common at kayak rental liveries. If you have a chance to paddle somewhere that rents them they might rent you a paddle for a few bucks and you can see how that feels. Though by this time of year most concessions up north are closed for the season.

Had same problem when I started
I bought a splash deck (Half skirt)for my cheap rec kayak. It would catch the water from dripping onto my knees. The problem is the cockpit is so wide the splash deck didn’t have mush of an arc so it would hold the water and form a small pool until there was 2-3 cups worth which would poor out all at once into my lap.

The money for a full spray skirt wasn’t worth it IMO as a full skirt causes it’s own issues (Hot, can’t reach into the boat) if the only reason you want a spray skirt is to keep those drops from landing on your knee

A longer paddle with a lower angle stroke helped me but didn’t eliminate the problem. Look at the videos here about paddling techniques.

When I finally bought a better kayak with a smaller cockpit the drops, which still fall off my paddle, land on the outside of the boat instead of on my knee.

Go to the hardware store and by a grout sponge for two bucks to get the water out of your boat.

height
I’m about 5’10" - I would say I’m long through the torso, I only wear 30 length pants.

Ebay for long paddles
Didn’t check just now, but last I looked you could get some pretty nice paddles if you went for 230 cm or up on EBay fairly cheap. Paddlers have gone to shorter lengths with more paddling high angle, so the longer ones are often up for sale.

If you get a decent one, like Swift or Aquabond, you can get them shortened later on if needed.

Yes, (230cm)
jack L

noticed that myself
When I went from a low angle paddle and stroke to a higher angle one I thought that was the time to remove feathering. But whether due to my fairly high angle stroke or whatever it felt awkward with zero feather so I now use 30 degrees which feels right. I do have a bit of a control hand but at least with a loose grip – hard to change some habits.

BTW, as for dripping, in my somewhat narrow boat my blade regularly comes straight above my cockpit as my hand normally crosses the kayak centerline at eye level. A good angle when the blade exits the water reduces drip a bit but I’m sure without a skirt I might still find it a bit annoying.

Can we vote down this advice?

your’e the same height
as my boyfriend (who also is a 30" inseam) and he uses a 240 cm paddle when we use our OT Guide canoe, which is about 32" width at the point where he is paddling, close to that of your kayak. So a 240 cm could work. You might be able to trade for the longer one on Craigslist. A lot of people buy longer paddles with their first kayak (many sporting goods stores only sell 240 cm to men and 220 cm to women) and then get a slimmer lower profile boat and want a shorter paddle. Got nothing to lose by posting an ad offering a swap – put it under the “boats” section rather than “swap” section. You might get a bite.

Third time is the charm …
Get back out and do it some more … you’ll find less knuckle banging and you won’t notice the water on your butt as much.

Bingo!

– Last Updated: Nov-01-11 2:49 PM EST –

Isn't that why spray skirts were invented or the tulek? to keep water out of the boat. Isn't that why kayaks have a deck? to keep water out of the boat.

One other thought.
I’ve seen some folks, not always but usually ‘newbies’, while paddling their upper body is rocking side to side like a reverse pendulum and the boat is doing the same because of their actions. Sometimes I’m amazed they don’t flip over. There is no rotation of their torso whatsoever. Could this possibly add to increased drip from their paddle?

They’ll also have a “death grip” on their paddle and they may say, “Man, my arm and shoulder are really hurting!”