kayak recommendations

Regarding Speed
The sea kayaks that are usually considered ‘fastest’ such as the Epic 18, QCC700 etc… have long waterlines and are ‘faster’ in that they produce less drag at high speeds. These boat usually produce more drag at speeds under 4.5 knots. It is often said that 3 knots is a normal cruising speed in a sea kayak.

Some boats feel faster in that they accelerate well and are directionally stable requiring few corrective strokes.

My Nordlow feels like my fastest boat because it has the least drag up to 4 knots and tracks fairly well. My Aquanaut actually produces less drag above 4 knots than my Nordlow and is therefore ‘faster’, however it takes more power to get the 'naut up to speed.

If you want the fastest sea kayak try a Rapier 20 :wink:

Aquanut
good advice!

Will track better than the Nordkapp LV but be less like a play boat. I still want an Aquanut because a lot of what I do is some distance in the open water. The Nord LV is looser and keeps your attention on edge.

boats
Since you mentioned Currituck. My wife got one a few years ago and just loves it. NDK makes some awful fine boats, and are very popular here in the midwest near Lake Superior. I paddle a CD Titan LV, which is a good cruiser in big water for extended camping, but I’ve recently lost a lot of weight and hope to soon fit into some of the more playful boats out there to kick around in the waves. Finding a boat that fits and does what you want is such a personal thing. It’s hard for anyone to tell you just what to buy. The tack on this is just keep demoing boats until one puts a big smile on your face!