kayak roof rack saddle or j cradle?

I have J Bars,
the only reason was to fit two boats on a small narrow car. If I had the room I probably would have chosen the saddles. I like the J bars, but my wife can’t get her boat on the car without assistance. We’ve orderd a pair of Harken Hoists, so loading the car will not be an issue, still tough for the wife to get her boat down though.

Both
I have the old style of Malone J cradle (best Jcradle around - more padding) and the Thule set-to-go/landshark saddles with the Oak Orchard roller on the rear bar.

I have a Dodge Ram 4x4 with big tires that is 76" to the roof line…just ask Brian N. I noticed that the saddles don’t work with my SOF (chine issue) but the J-Cradle does - so I keep both sets on my Thule system so I can accomodate both types of hulls.

It also allows me to do a shuttle-type-paddle with a friend to haul both boats back to the put-in or take both my boats in case my wife wants to paddle. Who says you can’t have it all?

J-rack vs. saddles
I have a Thule J-rack (hull-a-port?), but recently switched to saddles. I have an Element and found that the roof line, plus Thule bars, was too tall to easily use the J-rack. In addition to using a step stool to get up to rack level, I found it tricky to get the straps over the boat. If I had two boats (say, one canoe and a 'yak), then the J-rack would be to one side of the roof, making it more difficult to reach over to loop the strap through the rack.

Anyway, I feel that: short vehicle = either one, tall vehicle = saddles.

garage
Saddles not for me because of garage. My 2002 taurus has pop rivets to really hold the clips under the door mount and span is the huge deal. My 21 ft boat likes lots of span. You might try www.kayakpro.com for long span boats.

Don’t “need” either
I’ve transported hundreds of kayaks over the years on simple padded bars. Thousands of miles and zero damage. I prefer to strap them on upside down, as typically the structure in the decks is more durable (not always). Also keeps rain out. I know of no outfitters or pro’s who use these aftermarket attachements. (probably are some) They can’t hurt though I feel they are completely unnecessary.

Just installed Auto Loaders
What a pain! The only reason I bought them was to fit two boats on my Thule rails on top of my very tall Jeep Liberty.

I was totally happy with the kayak, right side up on the rails which have pool noodles on them. I use a length of threaded rod with padding on one end as a rail extension. Quick and easy and cheap. Just like me.

Last week I borrowed for a long term a wide beamed kayak for my wife to use. The only way to have them on the rails and secure was with J cradles.

The install was ok, getting the boat on the cradles on it’s side was a bit of a challenge but the strapping of the boat sucks. The straps are just long enough with nothing to spare up front. I don’t get the most secure feeling rounding corners but I am sure it is safe enough. I have a feeling that I will use the cradles the few times a year we take out both boats and those longer highway trips coming up soon for vacations.

I also need to get them to be a bit more secure on the Thule rails. Perhaps some dense rubber?