Kayak running lights ?

And better ones
The Innovative lights are the ones I have:

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|65136|295769&id=320399&start=01&results=10&sort=products

At our ages, we figure it is now or…
never !

We only come this way once, and needless to say in a few years we won’t be saying “I wish I had tried that” !

Come on down and join us Dave

Jack L

We have done that many times in the past
but this is something that we have to do right, and if we need to spend some bucks, then so be it.

Jack L

read the reviews
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34596&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10577&classNum=10578

I have one of those NaviLight 360s

– Last Updated: Sep-20-11 8:35 PM EST –

Those are actually pretty cool as kayak lights, and the magnetic mounting plate works very well plus they have a lanyard attachment. The magnetic plate makes them very easy to take off to use the white LEDs as a tent light if you want or you can mount them about anywhere. They do indeed float with lithium batteries. Battery life is not bad even if you are running them on bright, and they are indeed extra bright! They are a bit pricey though. I got mine in a sponsor goodie bag for being in a Christmas lighted boat parade that included kayaks (actually, I ended up with 2 of them). I'd certainly buy one having used these for a while.

Their catalog will download and they are
listed under ‘Marine Portable LED Navigation Lights’.

The bow light number is 560-1110 and the stern is 560-2110.

It is not the easiest site to move around in. At least not for me.

I hope this info helps.

A counterpoint on the red/green lights
http://www.kayalu.com/k/recommendation_kayak_light_paddling_at_night_fishing_angling.php

Here’s a quote

There is really no environment in which we would recommend the use of red/green running lights on a kayak. Running lights mounted at a single point on a kayak bow can not be displayed with sufficient suitable color separation between red and green to signal meaningful intent. If installed on the bow or hull of a kayak, red/green lights may not be at a height above the waterline necessary to meet U.S.C.G. required visibility across the arc of the horizon expected of “running lights” or “sidelights” — flickering in appearance and thereby confusing to other paddlers and vessel operators. Hull or bow-mounted lights are often innaccessible to the paddler to enable or disable depending on the environment. Lights of any color, including running lights, should never be displayed by a paddler incapable of understanding how the operator of another vessel will interpret their precise meaning in the dark.

Just something to think about

Jack, See page 17 of 27 on that website.

Part of that quote is bullcrap.

– Last Updated: Sep-21-11 1:43 AM EST –

I'm one who does not agree that there's a "need" for red and green lights on a kayak, though I can envision some situations where, in spite of the fact that paddlecraft are basically stationary compared to the motorboats that must avoid them (and therefore a single white light should be sufficient), it would be helpful for a motorboater to know that yes, that's some kind of boat up ahead (such as within a marked channel where a single white light "shouldn't be" if the viewer is not expecting paddlecraft). Therefore I can agree with the argument for having full running lights OR having a single white light, depending on the actual situation.

That said, here's the part of that statement that is written in total ignorance: "Running lights mounted at a single point on a kayak bow can not be displayed with sufficient suitable color separation between red and green to signal meaningful intent." The person who wrote that has never seen a small motorboat or has absolutely no powers of observation or memory. For decades, small motorboats have been using combination red-and-green lights on the bow with nothing but a partition between the two colored lights. The spacing between colored lights in that situation is zero, but they are fully effective. The lights are constructed so that each color is visible within the degrees of arc required by the regulations, meaning that if you can see a particular color from a distance, you automatically know the approximate heading of the boat you are looking at. Simple. Only on very large boats do the regulations require separate red and green lights on opposite sides of the hull, and I'm sure that's partly because a single, combination light mounted on the bow of something so huge is likely to be blocked from view when seen from a somewhat rearward angle. That's not a problem on small motorboats, and it certainly wouldn't be a problem on a kayak. Combination red-and-green lights work just fine. They are not only legal, they work exactly as the law intends.

Okay, I just looked at the link from which that quote was taken. Sheesh. How could a company that sells lights for boating have such an idiot on board? I'd say that on our local lakes, about 98 percent of the motorboats have combination lights of the type I described, and I've been navigating these lakes at night for years so I know that the problem described in the selected quote is totally in the writer's imagination. That guy needs to look at a few boats other than kayaks before spouting such nonsense. Maybe he needs to go boating at night too. Clearly he's never done it.

Okay I get it now. The reason they wrote such ridiculous crap on their website is because they don't sell a combination red-green light! They are willing to make themselves look like idiots to any boater with a modicum of common sense, just to prevent a handful of gullible people from buying what they need from some other company. Wanna bet that's the reason?

Why would you want to mislead other btrs

– Last Updated: Sep-21-11 2:20 AM EST –

If you are not a powered vessel, why are you trying to mark your vessel as a powered vessel with these lights?

IMHO these red/green lights are a waste of money. Spend the money on a super bright LED headlamp or a fiberglass mast/light with suction cup base. Both of these items will have far more visibility due to height above water. ....Or even one of those rescue lasers

And they will not mislead another operator that your boat is powered and underway.

I could even foresee a scenario which includes that people think you are sinking because your running lights are 4 inches off the water.

I didn’t mean to start an argument guys
I fully intend to put red and green running lights on the bow regardless of what others say and do.

I grew up on the ocean, and many moons ago when I was in my little outboard runabout it sure was good to know which way to pass another oncoming one on a pitch black night

Jack L

Good choice, IMO
Despite some of the grousing about them here, I have used mine quite often in busy waters near and after dark, and have received NOTHING but praise and “Where’d you get those?” from other boaters, cops, and boating enforcement officers.

Being visible, and using regulation lights gets you RESPECT, which is something kayakers rarely get in the daytime, at least in a lot of the places I paddle most.

Use 'em!!! They work.

That’s one of the things I like
about the NaviLights Red/Green…the LEDs are well positioned in the housing to work as functional port/starboard lights on a kayak. You can easily mount it to a front hatch cover or unused compass recess using the magnetic plate.

Although I understand the article’s point about not appearing to be a vessel that you aren’t, it is easy to confuse a white light with a land point or other fixed white light. I believe Colregs 25 still allows red/green use on kayaks. Most powerboats are on the lookout for red/green lights, so anything to increase visibility is good imho. That, coupled with a handheld LED flashlight that you can move around seems to work quite well to alert traffic that something is out there and is unusual.

respect
Near gloucsester high school near the rr bridge there were about 100 kayaks leaving the harbor headed out unto the ocean. We were on the left right and center of the harbor. We totally blocked pro fisherman trying to go in and out. And real mariners were blocked. I love my eft kAYak and loved that blackburn challenge race but we did not deserve much respect because it was all about us blocking the waterway.

Some city bike/walking paths have painted lines and rules. Leaving the hARBOR, the kayaks should have stayed right.

what expedition?

here’s what I use
Red & green running lights hung off deck lines:

http://www.rutabaga.com/Guardian-Light_p_286.html

White stern:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/488/Scotty-Sea-Light.html

The colregs don’t specify what a kayak should use. Some people consider it a rowboat, in which case you should carry a white lantern. I don’t know where you would put it.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheap solution for 360 white running lig
Here’s how I saved money using my “c-lite”. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558917191SxHfjK

Not the most comfortable to stick down the back of your PFD, but those of you who are creative with PVC could figure a way to affix a mount to your deck. I usually paddle stealth, but will grab my stored stick from the cockpit when nearing boat traffic. Nice feature of the reducing joint-one side holds “C” lite, other side a standard diameter glow-stick. Bonus feature: stick functions as a warning horn when played like a trumpet.

As an alternate, I sometimes use an elasticiced headband (penlite holder) with a white 360 conical lite (sylvania).

but but but
I like it, particularly the foredeck lights.

the paddle to israel

Hi Dave, sorry about the reply above

– Last Updated: Sep-21-11 7:11 PM EST –

It is the Everglades Challenge next March.
It is not really an expedition, but like it's name; a challenge

jack L