kayak sailing

I’m glad to hear that the Triac
is alive and well. It was touch and go there for a while.

Also, the Hobie Adventure Island is a Hobie Adventure with outriggers and a sail. The Adventure, even though it’s a kayak, was originally designed to eventually be a sailboat. It was also designed by Hobie, a company with a lot of experience with sailboats.

I’ve had no problems with the “plastic joystick that controls the plastic rudder”.

Haven’t had any problem with beaching ability. The Mirage drive is really handy.

I’ve traveled with our Adventure Island on top of our Subaru and had no problems.

You do have to pedal through a tack, but only in low wind situations.

Dry storage is not virtually zero. There is a large hatch in the bow that will handle a lot of stuff. Plus, there’s a very large tankwell, which I realize is not considered “dry storage”, but to not mention it is misleading.

Their other points are valid.

triying a hoby
Im going to try a hoby adventure island this sumer, I think ther beter than a conventional sail boat becos ther so manuvarabel, but I woldent put them in the same catagory of my beloved sea kayak, at 15kg fited with a small sail rig and all safty gear its a no contest as to which one is the easiest to youse for most kayaking. But the fun of a TI in a about 15 knots might be fun for an hour or two.

I have two AI’s
and I really like them as sailboats. I really don’t like them as kayaks. A bit of a barge. I’ve used them as loaners as kayaks and most folks get really frustrated with them since it’s hard to keep up with the others.

Falcon Sails - still and/or again
I’m late to this discussion, but have an opinion, so why not?

I bought my first Falcon Sail for an Epic 18x. Strictly for play and to go faster. With no sailing experience, I practiced going over each time I went paddling with the sail. Even before I could manage the 2-second drop, I had no problem doing wet exits, then dropping and securing the sail while in the water.

I recently got a tandem kayak, and had it rigged for two sails. While this requires, again, another learning curve, the Falcon Sails give a great upwind boost, as well as allowing for me to move in any direction.

(Not related, don’t work for or with, no incentive at all - just a great product.)

Not a do-it-yourself plan.
Nickjc wrote “My guess is someone took the do-it-yourself plans”

It is easy to take somebody’s hard work and write it off as a copy of a do-it-yourself plan. You may even believe it if you do not know the facts.

Its like saying I saw a kayak made by somebody and it looks like a copy of a do-it-yourself plan.

I assure you, Falcon Sails are not a do it yourself rig and would require a huge investment to even copy it. Its not something a do-it-yourself person would do.

Some sail rigs mentioned in this discussion are copies of do-it-yourself rigs.

This far from the case for Falcon Sails.

Some very uncreative people make quick assumptions about designs and think copying is a great design method. You can copy, but if you are looking for great improvements forget about copying.

I wrote a bit about our design and why they are different here.

http://www.falconsails.com/whybuyafalcon/

Feel free to contact Falcon Sails any time you like on our website or facebook page.

www.falconsails.com

www.facebook.com/falconsails

Thank you very much.