Kayak Shop Closing? An informal poll.

Big Boxes and Managing Money
I’m skeptical of the idea that the big boxes are drawing on a different set of customers. Many kayak shops also sell less expensive entry level rec kayaks. For the kayak shops in this area at least, while selling performance kayaks may be why they got into the business, selling the rec kayaks has been their bread and butter.

Also, I question whether poor money management among kayak shop owners is the culprit. If a video store is poorly managed, it may go out of business, but another one steps in to replace it. What I’m seeing now is that successful, reputable builders such as Mariner kayaks and shops such as Country Canoeist (NH) are leaving the industry – but no one is stepping up to buy these businesses, and I’m not hearing about new shops starting up either. Analysis of the bottom line must look pretty bleak to prospective buyers, I guess.

I appreciate your response and the responses of all those who have responded. As owner of a small part time kayak shop tucked away in the corner of the country (Maine), I have my own theories about what is going on – in this area at least. It seems pretty consistent with the reduction of discretionary income and competition from big boxes that folks have observed elsewhere.

This is the answer…
"the pay range was $10. to $14. starting, depending on experience - - it is now $6.85 to $9.25 - - big box management, and many other employers, are destroying their own customer base, as many of our own employees can no longer afford to buy anything but the most basic necessities " —No one can argue with that, and the only way to stop it is through organization of the workers.

listen to dad !!
i started and ran a successful business for approx 25yrs - as it was based on consulting fees and sales commissions, the first thing my banker advised me was to never live on the cash received - he told me to pay myself a salary, and to bank the remainder as a cushion for the bad years - if i had not listened to him, i would have closed the doors on more than one occasion -

ranting again, but if some young entreprneur (sp) can learn from all these closures, the ranting is well worth while - IMO

not really, IMO -
that would only lead to pricing the store out of competition - - i think customer input about the lack of quality/knowledge of new workers is what’s needed, and most retailers provide customer survey forms - - if people would make the effort to fill them out, rather than throwing them away, i do believe some changes would occure - - believe me, management DOES pay attention to customer input -

OK, I tried
. . . to stay out of this thread and not sound like a broken record to those who regularly read the forum, but I just can’t help myself.

Those wonderful specialty boat shops depend on us. They survive and further the sport to the extent that we as a community recognize and support their contributions to paddling. This means recommending these shops to other paddlers, being willing to let the shops put their logo stickers on our boats, going out of our way to visit for our paddling needs and for shop special events, and, yes, perhaps recognizing their service and expertise by paying a little more.

I would be (more) lost than I am now without the specialty shop that has helped me discover the sport, Paddler’s Paradise of Woodstock, GA. Find the shop in your area that is truly committed to the sport of paddling and do all you can to support it (including mentioning it here).

GRO in Michigan
GRO in Michigan was a well-stocked shop. Their problem was their high crotch prices. They had used plastic kayaks (English) that were 4 to 6 years old and asking a few hundred off retail. I looked at several that were scratched to the max, had broken rudder cables, rotten hatch covers. Who would want to spend $1,500.00 on an old piece of cr** like that? I also wanted a wetsuit. They had them for $150.00 to $200.00. I went to Dick’s and found one for $100.00, and Bodyglove to boot. Only thing I ever bought there was a feathered one piece fiberglass paddle for 50 bucks. I used it twice and gave it away. That store was located in an upper-class area, and they expected the people around there to just fork over whatever price they put out. Well even a rich man likes to find a bargain on a Mercedes. I wasn’t surprised to learn that they folded (or were bought out). This sport is expensive enough without having to pay through the nose for everything (boat, accessories, etc.).

My rant

wally world stores
are also killing the small local dive shops also, Divers direct aka watersports is killing our equipment sales . we can’t compete with their discount volume prices. but when the equipment they sell breaks where do you bring it and expect us to repair it at a bargain price? I shop locally whenever possible, I DON’T ask for a discount and feel the little more I pay is for service in the long run. Also the people at smaller family /local shops are my Neighbors. corporate folks aren’t nor do they actually give a rats ass about how I’m actually doing.

Before long

– Last Updated: Mar-17-05 12:52 PM EST –

they will be importing Mexican "guest workers" to work in Walmart stores. That is if Dubya gets his way. As far as I am concerned Walmart is F-ing up this country by importing cheap Chinese made crap. Every time you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping prop up Mao's Communist workers paradise.

I just heard the other day that Mickey Ds is going to start outsourcing jobs too...when you go through the drive through to order a big mac, the person you talk to will be in India, and they will transmit your order back to the McDonalds.

if waterford is your idea of upperclass
you may have to take a drive to birmingham or west bloomfield.

Uh
Hey man, Birmingham’s my home town!

Anyway, I’ve never heard anything but love for GRO. If they were pricey, it was because they were a small business selling top end gear. The quality and service you got from them was well worth it.

Don’t be real surprised if you see
high quality composite boats being made in China. And if you find one that cost half what they do now, what are you going to do? Don’t BS me about keeping Joe Brandname open either. You have a bottom line you are watching also.Who loves their Toyota and looks down their nose at a Hyundae, yet I see more Hyundaes every day.

The Global Economy is a reality and Bush didn’t invent it. You stay ahead of it by innovating and lowering costs.

Buy American!
I drive a Ford!

Where do the components come from
That are assembled into your Ford

lol, I had the same thought!
Ironically, Honda of America is probably the largest auto manufacturing employer in the US now.

My wife
is from Birmingham!

well the term tony birmingham did not
form out of vacuum.

don’t get defensive, it’s a nice place to live, I’m just trying to put the local demographics, painted by bigjockjoe into perspective.

Kayak shop closings
Yes the global economy is a reality, but when your job is on the line the perspective is quite different. May even have to sacrifice our precious middle class hobbies. So a little sympathy for the small guy is in order even if it is an epitaph for the American middle class.

Local Shops.
I’m very supportive of my locally owned stores, and buy my outdoor gear there whenever I can (like when they have it or can get it). I live in a recreational tourist area, and most of the owners are willing to give locals a break on the price, or at least let us know when an item will be on sale. All you really have to do is ask them.

I bought my Dagger kayak just 25 miles away, at a small family-owned store. My best friend and I were buying kayaks at the same time, so I’m sure that helped some. Plus we needed everything (paddles, PDFs, car racks). But I don’t think we would have got a better deal anywhere:

1.) Each kayak for $100 below MSRP.

2.) Free Yakima Hullraiser racks.

3.) 10% off any accessories, like paddles and PDFs.

4.) Free 2 hour lesson on a nearby river.

5.) 1 year (full price) trade up, toward another kayak.

6.) Free delivery and help with installing the Hullraisers.

No BIG BOX could beat that.

And it likely paid off, because my friend and I have each sent a number of people to this shop, since buying our kayaks there.

~ Arwen ~

BIG SURPRISE !!
my older brother PREACHED about buying american, which i happen to agree with - - however - some years ago, he took delivery of a new ford probe, popped open the hood, and there was a nice shiney new MAZDA engine !! - his friends NEVER let him forget it !

NYC Proper Has Two
that I know of, but, when you head out to Long Island, there are at least six more that I now of, and I think there are even more.

Lou