Kayak size and make - Advice needed!

Welcome!

That Looksha Sport (LV) carbon/Kevlar is from around ‘99-‘01. You would need to add floatation or something like Salamander Overnighters to give you the floatation/storage of a hatched/bulkheaded kayak. At your build it would be a spot on fit. It has had quite a bit of discussion on the Kayak Classifieds FB page. The C/K is from a time when Necky was its own independent major mfg. of kayaks and had just brought in a bunch of recently laid off Boeing engineers. They had some very innovative stuff at that point. You could go longer if you have a need for speed, say an Impex Force 3 for example but as a capable all rounder with a penchant for being a lot of fun in waves go with the Looksha Sport LV (caveats being already stated). Owners don’t know much about the kayak.

Aha, Marshall knows the answer! Given what he said, even though the price might be on the high side, if it’s near you might as well go have a look and sit in the boat ( or preferably paddle it) and see how you like it. You might be able to bargain the owner down a bit, and if the paddle and sprayskirt are decent it could end up all right.

From questions you have ask I’d advise not going in the ocean alone in anything without other very experienced. kayakers. When buying used it takes time to find what you want especially being on the smaller side of paddlers just the same for larger paddlers usually less choices.

That is why. Most of us in sea kayaking started out in plastic boats. Most have zero interest in hauling one again after going lighter.

2 Likes

Actually to the OPer but this one worth highlighting,

Marshall has addressed my biggest concern, that is fit. If he says a Looksha Sport would work for you the rest is just getting it sea worthy with floatation, and if one has been sitting around maybe run new deck rigging. Both are doable.

Once you are in bouncy stuff you have to be able to maneuver the boat - not optional.

RLPaddle - I have an older Necky Looksha IVs (16.5 ft) that I’m fond of and that shorter Necky you found looks like it has a similar hull shape. Buy be careful. I can see some yellowed epoxy on the keel of that boat at the bow. People often paint a little epoxy on to seal up minor wear which is not a big deal. Some marine paint over it would have prevented the yellowing from UV exposure. But that epoxy might also be there to seal up some more significant damage. Look that area over carefully for cracks and bring a flashlight so that you can see far up into the bow on the inside.

Both plastic and composite are fine. But with the type of paddling your original post envisions, the high durability of plastic is not crucial. So I would recommend composite, mostly for the fact that it is lighter. Composite boats are typically repairable in the field anyway. If well cared for, composite holds up better over the long term. I suspect others may differ.

1 Like

I don’t intend to go out on the ocean by myself - thanks for your concern. I do have paddling experience including as an outdoor educator, some white water and some self-rescue and rescue training, but this is my first purchase and, as with most everything, there way more to learn abut the item when you start digging in!

1 Like

You all are awesome! Thanks so much for all of your help and advice. I will take a look at the boat, as it is local to me.

Let us know how it goes! By the way if you don’t like the paddle you can probably resell it for a decent price in this market. Werner has good resale. So that could also knock your price down on the boat a bit.

Nit familiar with Werner - is that a web site? Is there an on-line bulletin board for selling used boats?

BTW, I’m building via a class. My first intention was to make a kayak but when I saw a model canoe, the wood was so beautiful that I was swayed to make a canoe. But it functions almost like a kayak, used with a double paddle.

How can I post a photo of it?

I assume the deal includes a paddle made by the manufacturer Werner?
Multiple places to list used boats, worry about that later.

Neither of the boats pictured in the Craigslist ad looks like a Necky Looksha sport. the yellow one is a Perception brand boat. The green is unknown brand and looks to be from the 90s (or maybe even 80s).

The Necky Looksha IV and Sport are ruddered boats, made from the mid-90s to mmid-00s. The Sport is primarily a 14.5’ long version of the 17.6’ IV. Both of these boats are good for larger paddlers. My first boat was a Looksha IV and second was a Looksha Sport - had these back in the 00s when I was 6’ and 215 lbs (and still fit even now at 225 lbs. They stopped making the IV/sport by mid-00s, so any out there are going to be getting old. I find newer boats usually to be more comfortable, one of the reasons I got rid of the Lookshas.

Your weight and height is pretty close to my partner. The boat she has settled on after quite a few tries is a Valley Gemini. She has the plastic version, but they also do make 2 composite versions.

She had a Necky Chatham 16 and a Dagger Alchemy S. Both were a little large for her in the cockpit. She had trouble trying to stay connected to the boat when she was trying to learn to roll (e.g. would fall out when she flips over) and had trouble edging them. If less performance and/or not learning to roll is fine, then a larger cockpit boat would be fine.

From her experience, some boats that fit smaller paddlers:
Valley Gemini
Valley Avocet LV (composite version - the plastic version runs a bit large so isn’t as well liked by smaller paddlers)
Sterling IceCap (win lottery boat, as they are VERY expensive, but oh so awesome)
Necky Elaho
P&H Scorpio LV
Necky Lookshga IV LV (rare beast - only seen one in my life)

The following should work, but might be a little large if you wanted performance (rolling and strong edging):
Necky Eliza
Dagger Alchemy 14.0S
Dagger Startos 145S
Jackson Journey 135 (and maybe the 140)
Northshore Atlantic LV
Necky Chatham 16

I’ve heard the Current Designs Karla is good for smaller paddlers, but we haven’t confirmed that. The max capacity they list makes me question that,

In general, you will want a boat listed as low volume (LV) or small. One made for average or large paddlers you will bee swimming in.

If you haven’t yet, what you may want to do is find a specialty kayak outfitter (not a big big box store) and take an intro to sea kayaking class. Some may be repeat with what you have learned in the past, but the instructors should be able to work with you on what boats are around your area (and probably try a few boats while you are there) that would work for your size and needs and ensuring you know how to self rescue a sea kayak could come in handy at a later time.

1 Like

My wife found her Looksha Sport to be too big for her (otherwise a great boat). She bought a Current Designs GTS and it fits like a glove.

2 Likes

Werner paddles are a well-known and desired paddle brand. The ad says it comes with one.

The Karla LV would likely need some padding for the OP to fit securely. I tried one several years ago and a friend has the one that I tried. I fit easily into it and, as I recall, found that the fore deck seemed a bit high. For the record, I am 5’ 8", ~158 lb., 31" inseam with narrow hips. I add the last as I acquired a NDK Explorer LV last fall after testing the fit. I fit fine but a bit tight into the cockpit other than the foot pegs that I removed. My friend with the Karla went to try the LV a week or so ago & couldn’t get in. Perhaps a bit too
fundamentality sound.