kayak suggestion for surfski paddler

Thanks, Sanjay
I paddled one a bit a few years ago. My regular paddling buddy in Seattle had one, and we had some epic paddles together. Sounds like I should check it out again. Heck, I’m even open to trying a GP with it.

where is Mark Rogers? I’ll be in southeastern MN, in Rochester.

Andrew

Superior Kayaks (address is on site)

– Last Updated: Mar-21-06 6:03 AM EST –

http://www.superiorkayaks.com/superiorkayaks001.htm

Mark's address and other contact information is on the site. By the way, he's in a place called Two Rivers, Wisconsin, on Lake Michigan. Here's the Mapquest map: http://tinyurl.com/qlpk8

Melissa

hard to go back
I normally paddle icf-k1 or surfski. I live in Va on chesapeke bay and got a nigel foster legend as a reliable nothing can go wrong with it boat. Has skeg that is helpful but boat is not dependant on it.

What I have found is that a sea kayak is great for getting you places with your gear and will handle rough water but it’s slow. When you really want to turn on the power to catch a swell it starts turning forcing corrective strokes and the swell is gone. Paddling on flatwater is sluggish.

I know nothing of greenland techniques so can’t comment.

I think sea kayaks are cool for what they are but if you are gonna paddle for a couple hours for fitness it is hard to go back to a less responsive craft. I will not get rid of my sea kayak because I will probably paddle it with my son when he gets older and also save it for when I get old.

eugene

Superior GPs too
Be sure to check out one of Mark’s carbon GPs.

agree
I’m still intending to do 90+% of my paddling with my ski and my Tbolt. Most of this paddling will be done on the Mississippi, close by Rochester, and on the flatwater stretches of the Zumbro (training paddles). I was just thinking that it might be good to have something more stable for trips and for certain types of paddles in Lake Superior and on the Mississippi- mostly group paddles, and “exploration” paddles, where there may be a certain amount of sitting around, checking out the scenery, etc. The ski and the Tbolt are like sharks- they have to keep moving, or bad things start to happen.

Andrew

Pretty sure we talked about the 19

– Last Updated: Mar-22-06 4:40 AM EST –

before......

Not exactly the length you might be looking for but reading your 'boat bio' here I feel it should be a contender for your list. Agree w/ above that once you are used to the skis / skinny boats, I think you will feel like you are paddling a stubby slug in something under 18' and the instinctive urge to go faster will never leave.

Originally the 19 ( 18' 9" ) was possibly going to be closer to 18' but side by side on the water trials with a more plum bowed sister boat in stupid conditions ( Whaler driver dropped the camera to save the boat ) had me sold on the undeniable performance of the bow design for big water / high wind balance and speed. One has to see and feel the bow to understand it's magic, the photos do not show what is going on. Predisposed judgements from cubbie holed typists are typical. Necky has a bit of it on their 'new school' boats whether they know it or not. Since I was going for true ocean performance, the 18' mark never really came back into the picture and so got set aside in preference of better speed on the ocean. This boat paddled by a ski-loving paddler will walk away from any sub 19 foot boat on the ocean. Rudder optional.

I’m open
As a matter of fact, I will be in San Diego next February for a meeting, and had been thinking that exact thought. This probably isn’t the “performance oriented” question you were hoping for, but how do you find the stability of the boat, just sitting still, paddle out of the water? As if you were just hanging out, checking out the scenery, maybe taking a picture? I imagine I would be fine, since the Tideline is around the same width as the 700, which felt like sitting on a dock.

Out of curiosity, could you email me off the board and let me know what your prices would be for one built with the tiller style pedals?

Andrew