Kayak to Canoe

I have seen so many kayakers adopt canoeing easily . Don’t over think it. The kayakers never give up kayaking and enjoy both ways of paddling. I know several that are instructors in both disciplines. Canoes and kayaks obey the same laws of physics.

I disagree with WIllowleaf. While that boat is fine in the Everglades you will hate it when you have to lug it in and out of the water. The seat arrangement makes it impossible to portage even for a short distance. There is an adage that the lighter your boat the more you will explore various areas, We do have neighbors with that boat. We have 35 lakes within 25 miles. That boat hasn’t left this lake.

Based on the OP’s described intended usage, I don’t feel my suggestion was inappropriate. Yes the Adventure is heavy, at 84 lbs almost 20 heavier than most Wenonahs of similar length. But only 2 pounds heavier than our Old Town 146, an 18" shorter boat. The two of us had no trouble hauling it to launches and I was even able to solo load it on the car roof or use a cart to get it to the water. Like many recreational users we never portaged any considerable distance.

OP did not state intention to portage and still seems to be somewhat on the fence about the switch to a canoe. A used Adventure would be a practical low cost option and having it for a season would give him an idea of how he may actually end up using a canoe, at which point he can invest in the most appropriate higher end model, if the weight and characteristics actually turn out to be a limiting factor.

A lot of people are rightly saying that a solo canoe will be better, but there are plenty of people (me included) who rightly enjoy paddling a tandem by themselves. Especially with a few pounds in the bow. Notice that both sides are right. To find what you really like, you just have to try as many boats as you can-this site is large enough that for any possible boat setup, there will be those that love it and those that hate it.

Years ago I was in a surf club where at our gatherings, the rule was that you couldn’t use your own board. Everyone would spend a day trying other people’s boards. I’d love to find something like that for paddlers some day. You can read about boats for years and still not learn as much as you will by paddling one for a few minutes.

@willowleaf said:
Based on the OP’s described intended usage, I don’t feel my suggestion was inappropriate. Yes the Adventure is heavy, at 84 lbs almost 20 heavier than most Wenonahs of similar length. But only 2 pounds heavier than our Old Town 146, an 18" shorter boat. The two of us had no trouble hauling it to launches and I was even able to solo load it on the car roof or use a cart to get it to the water. Like many recreational users we never portaged any considerable distance.

OP did not state intention to portage and still seems to be somewhat on the fence about the switch to a canoe. A used Adventure would be a practical low cost option and having it for a season would give him an idea of how he may actually end up using a canoe, at which point he can invest in the most appropriate higher end model, if the weight and characteristics actually turn out to be a limiting factor.

For the price of that thing new you can get a perfectly serviceable higher end canoe… Thats what I have been doing for many years. Buying blems and used.
There is a reason that the saying " the lighter the boat" the more you will paddle" fits.

I would never buy one new. Used they are cheap and great beaters for kids and dogs due to the ease of on water exit and entrance. Even blems and used higher end canoes are rarely as cheap as $300 or $400. And few conventional tandems I’ve been in can be paddled with a kayak paddle. I understand your objections and your arguments are worth considering, but simply suggested it as one of many options to consider, for various stated reasons. YMMV

If I have a paddling partner to share loading and transport I don’t care so much about weight and that has never been a limiting factor on usage – 5 or even 10 pounds extra each for tandem carrying is not a big deal. But 10 or 20 pounds more for solo loading is a bitch. Years ago I got rid of any kayak that weighed over 44 pounds for that reason.

Going from kayak to canoe is good. Going from canoe to kayak also works. So it can work either way and be good.

I can totally understand why someone who swam under a strainer might prefer trying a canoe to a kayak. Wet exiting will be easier in a canoe. Some folks develop a fear of getting trapped in a kayak.

I don’t know the “best” canoe for the op. I do own a blem adventurer 16, bought for 400 at Dicks a few years back (okay more than a decade ago). It paddles good- meaning I can get it track straight and also get it to turn it when I want to. I took my kids in it on class II when they were around 8 years old. I have paddled lakes and rivers and swamps in the mr adventurer both tandem and solo.

I like to think, it’s not just about the boat but my ability to adapt to it. Overall, I like the hull shape mr adventurer 16- mine has the curved stems on both ends.

The adventurer canoe is a heavy boat, hard to load and carry but on the plus side It takes a lot abuse, you can overnight it, and can paddle it with either a canoe or kayak paddle.

Personally I find the seats to be a bit high to instill confidence in rough conditions so I end up kneeling and its not set up for that. I bought two sets of portage wheels for it. So I can pull it like a wagon since over the head portaging is out.

Could it work for the op? Yeah, probably could work but are there are better boats out there? Sure.

The best boat is the one you get and paddle.

Most of my boats tend to be on the heavy side. I find I’m getting folks to help me load and unload quite a bit now with my bad knees.

This week I dragged my ww kayak two miles on old rr grade. Also did much lining and dragging over rocks as well. I had fun, the boat took a beating. I’ll replace it when it wears out. Light can be good, but durable is my own personal priority. My boats aren’t very pretty to look at on the bottom- all scratched up but the fish haven’t started complaining about how bad they look yet.

I think there are many canoes that could work for the op. Most of your typical rental canoes could work.

My take is that overall you might want to look for two used canoes to cover your range of needs. If you want one boat then a Colden Starfire would work very well for you although it’s not as sporty solo as a true solo, or you could consider a Swift Shearwater solo that would work great with you+dog or you+dog+6 year old, or you+wife with wife as cargo. Shearwater is happy with up to 350 pounds and also a lovely solo even with just you in it. I’ve had a 60 pound dog plus 70 pound 10 year old in mine. Tom