kayak towing

tow rig
Downside of your rig, though I envy the wider belt, is there is no way to quickly release the entire rig in an emergency. The commercially available two rigs all have a quick release buckle usually with a big ball on a lanyard, that allow the entire rig to be very quickly released. You’re not going to help anyone if you get yourself into a bad situation while trying to help someone else. Much more difficult to rescue two paddlers in trouble than to properly tow one.

Bill H.

It does have

– Last Updated: Apr-07-09 8:42 AM EST –

a quick release buckle.

While I think it's fine to buy a $85 tow rig, and I'm sure it would work for someone who can use it, I disagree with the assessment that buying a ready made tow set up is the only option to effectively tow someone. In both the arguments above you have both stated that it doesn't have a quick release, which it does, (stainless steel) or that the buckle is also not quick release, when it is.

I decided to design my own with a stronger belt for ocean conditions. It cost about $20. I would also recommended learning some basic knots.

I'm not saying a consumer two rig won't work, I'm saying that it is very easy to build one with one trip to Lowes for less than $20, and will work just as well if not better for the conditions.

Sorry, but I don't appreciate your assessment when you haven't even seen my tow rig, say it doesn't have a quick release buckle or clamps (which are stainless steel) or that it not effective or well constructed.

Edit: I can assure you that someone who doesn't have enough confidence in their own skills to construct an effective tow rig, or some one who advises not learning basic knots, is probably not as qualified as they like to think.

thats all I have to add

knots do not equal quick release

– Last Updated: Apr-07-09 8:45 AM EST –

My rig cost $35 and does not require a knowledge of knots - nor the time it takes to tie or untie one.

Secondly - you may be able to fabricate a rig "superior" to a ready-made one, although I'm dubious of that generalized statement - but that doesn't mean everyone else can. But most people can afford an outlay of $35.

Finally - it has nothing to do with "confidence", it has to do with easy utility. I know my knots well enough to be confident in them. And knowing the difference between knots and a quick release, my rig gives me all the confidence I need.

bow to stern sucks!!!
My first real towing tries were hooking my kid’s bow painter to my stern grab-loop and this was EXHAUSTING.

Turning was impossible so I asked around and found that towing from my PFD waist or cockpit to her bow was the way to go.

I just need to take a class on towing.

IF any were taught in Tucson.

Tow tow tow your boat
Use a line with low stretch, preferably you can put a cleat or fair lead eye behind the tow boat cockpit. Make sure you can detach the line from your tow boat with one hand quickly, because stuff happens. On a boat that short just tie a line to the bow handle so you can control the direction he’s point. Limit the surge to your paddle stroke to prevent ‘bouncing’.