Kayak Trailer

trailer for ski
Any trailer for kayaks (other than WW) will need an extened tongue to be useful, even for 16’ kayaks. I normally carry a 19 1/2’ SOF on mine with no problems at all, most skis are only slightly longer. Should pose no problems at all.

If the ski is supported on regular saddles it should be fine, it’ll just bounce exactly like the trailer does, doesn’t hurt a thing.

Bill H.

Depends on the condition of the
utility trailer. I’ve put thousand mile trips on a converted Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with no problems at all.

Also type of kayak
If you’re hauling a plastic boat or a composite in a good sturdy layup, a utility trailer might be fine, while it would beat up a light, and lightly constructed, race boat.

ideas
Some really neat ideas for transporting the Yaks. Might have to convert one of my trailers since throwing the boats on top of my Xterra is getting harder.

RR

Springs in trailer
I built a kayak trailer from an old trailer designed for a 14’ aluminum boat. Works fine, but with I haul skin-on-frame kayaks that only weigh about 32 pounds each. The leaf springs were too stiff and the trailer bounced when I hit a crack in the street. The local trailer expert told me that the trailer had the lightest springs available. He advised me to add a little weight to the trailer.

I added two lengths of 4" PMC tubing (plumbing dept. at hardware store), filled with sand, and capped with PVG caps.

Now everything trails well and my kayaks are happy.