Kayak types

Technique
"…because I can watch the bow and stern move quite a bit with each stroke…"

This is probably a combination of boat and your technique.

You might consider taking some lessons if you haven’t already done so.

As for the boat question, crossover like LiqudLogic Remix XP10, or Dagger similar model.

kayak types
from your size info, your paddle might be to short I think recommended length for your height in a 30" wide boat is 96"

easy
there are sea worthy kayaks and kayaks not sea worthy.

For example, learning kayaking in the San Juan Islands, I encountered 2 unequipped naked older people paddling Tupperware kayaks who asked me about circumnavigating French Island off Shaw.

I replied that going around had risks for naked old people in Tupperware kayaks unless tide was slack but then they had to consider the ferry’s wake.

I asked the male why in hell he was naked paddling a Tupperware kayak in 50 degree water ?

The male replied he is an experienced sailor once piloting a midsized sailboat.

Rec vs Touring vs Crossover? (NEW)
Alright, I really appreciate everyone’s input! I do have two more questions, hopefully it gets seen here so I don’t have to start a new thread.

Is there a difference between a recreational kayak and cross over kayak? If so, what would a recreational kayak be specifically used for?

Do they make shorter/durable touring kayaks and if so how would they compare to a crossover?

I saw a review on a Dagger Katana 10.4 and it looked absolutely amazing! Definitely couldn’t see needing much more than it could provide. Though with a name like that how could it not be awesome?!

Katana?
Crossovers are a mixed bag. Not quite whitewater capable enough to use over class 3, and not really all that great for tracking on flat water. And for the $1100 one would cost you, you could buy both a good touring kayak AND a good whitewater kayak, that would perform better for both types of water.

Sorry, but for all the hyperbolic claims made for the Katana, it’s still short and really wide (almost 28"). I watched some videos of it on the water and I certainly would not want to paddle it upstream in flatwater any distance (as you often do), even with the skeg deployed. It wanders too much, too much work!

But then I admit to being biased towards narrower kayaks – I like the sense of speed and straight tracking.

Usage of a rec kayak
Rec kayaks are pretty well defined on many manufacturers’ web sites. You just have to take the wording literally. So when they say calm water and slow moving rivers, the usual jargon (for example what I just found on Current Designs web site), they really mean calm water and slow moving rivers. That removes lakes or ocean with waves, as well as the river current you have been in, from appropriate use.

Two things happen - one is that new paddlers don’t like to much attention to the descriptions and end up with rec boats in inappropriate places. The other is IMO the manufacturers’ fault. I don’t see how you can talk about a boat being good for advanced paddlers as well (like WS does with the Pungo) and not make it sound to a newer paddler as though it is also OK to take these things out in ocean waves or down a class 2 river.

As you spend time learning to paddle, you realize that this only means an advanced paddler will find the boat to be fast and maneuverable enough to satisfy that part of their needs. It does not mean that a boat with a cockpit the size of Canada and limited flotation will be a happy choice in a class 3 drop. But new paddlers don’t understand enough yet to get this - they see the advanced part of the syntax and think that might also mean the boat is going to be a sweet roller and would be ideal in surf as long as they were better paddlers.

Crossover boats are just that - designed with features that make them safe in lower level WW but with added features like skegs that will make them track significantly better in open flat water than a true WW boat.

Touring
I thought the touring kayaks were the more expensive ones, but you think a cross over would cost more than a WW and touring combined?

Reality is that the majority of my time will most likely be spent on creeks and streams. I have never even seen anything above a class II rapid (if we had gone downstream when it was flash flood status we might of but we went up steam first and didn’t make it far.)

So I am looking for something that would be the best for both standing water and small rapids. I don’t mean the best out there for still water alone, but the combo. If a touring kayak would be short and durable enough to get down the areas we go then it might be best over a cross over. If I ever see bigger rapids I will pick up a WW.

Length
This is one of the questions I have been looking for an answer,whether a touring kayak like this would suffice. How long was yours? The ones I am seeing are almost 16 feet. Was it not hard to navigate in the small rapids or around stuff?