Kayaker ran over, by power boat renter.

Three killed in Miami…

Think he will see a kayak?

Appropriate name for that sliced boat.

When I was a kid our asst scout master was hit in his power boat. By a hit and runner . He was out cold and the boat was sinking. Other boaters saved him.

My god what a horrible incident. That’s utter BS that the guy didn’t see him. A couple years ago the hubby and I were paddling some choppy waters on Cape Cod. We saw a boat approaching. We waved our paddles, obviously to make sure they knew we were there. They stopped to see if we needed rescue (it was the harbormaster). They told us they saw us WITHOUT the paddle waving. So yeah, someone was either drunk or not paying attention or both.

There’s a reason I paddle a bright boat and wear bright clothes. I also keep my head on a swivel and try to be aware of motorized boats. I’m thinking about spray-painting my euro paddle a bright yellow or green, maybe even putting thin reflective discs on it as well for extra visibility.

@Rookie said:
Appropriate name for that sliced boat.

How about HALF-FAST and the term it rhymes with?

Or:

Semiconscious
Bi-pole-ar
Rip van Wrinkle
Ruptured Vessel

LF, I’ve attached reflective strips to my paddle blades. They are very visible.

@string said:

They are! The MeetUp group we paddle with has a member who’s paddle has reflective circles. It’s where I snagged the idea. :smile:

@string said:

This is a good step, but sometimes boaters rush over to you thinking that you are signalling for aid (while you are paddling). It has been recommended for Long Island Sound but someone said they were frequently rushed by boats on cape cod offering assistance.

There are white collision flares which can be fired toward on on coming motor vessel-- though I have never seen a kayaker packing one of these.

I would not chalk up all of these accidents to texting and drinking. A long summer day out in the brightness diminshes visual acuity. The droning of a motor creates a hypnotic effect. Dehydraton is another stressor.

Ref: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:prTN4uLz0nkJ:https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/pages/28702/files/dbwboatcourse.pdf+&cd=26&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

That being said, there certainly are careless boaters . I carry a go pro to film the more egregious acts. I filmed a person speeding by me at 40 mph within 2 boat lengths (he did see me, so I did not jump). I turned the video in to the local police–the tags were more than visible-- and was told that a ticket would be issued. I suppose now I would shame the boater on Youtube as well.

It would be nice if kayakers formed a lobby group much like the AMC to talk to politicians, to generate publicity and awareness about safe and unsafe motor boating operation, and to provide resources (eg attorney contacts, law enforcement agencies) to those who are injured. Something as simple as posting wake laws when passing small boats at popular launches is a start. Or another objective may be to convince public agencies to include information protecting kayakers in handouts and safety courses. We have all seen the signs about wake damage.

The most suitable organizations that I know are more interested in conservation, securing land rights, or building skills.

I paddle a lot among the Bass Islands on Lake Erie and always have a fog horn ready to blare during the crossing. I’ve almost used it once, but it was just a courteous curious boater. I have contemplated having my flare gun just as handy for popping one over someone’s hull, but like the security of having it in my pfd pocket instead.

@grayhawk said:

I wonder what happened to “Temporary Insanity I”.

@Steve_in_Idaho said:

@grayhawk said:

I wonder what happened to “Temporary Insanity I”.

If there’s any justice in the world, the owner/operator would be charged for the cost of its disposal.