Kayaking Knife on PFD

I don’t understand the problem
Gerber knives stay in the sheath all by themself. The fit is pretty tight if the knife is all the way in. You have to pull the knife chunk-chunk-chunk past three bumps before it comes out. It’s a pretty well designed system.

Used It Once But Always Have One…

– Last Updated: Jun-28-07 5:22 AM EST –

knife attached to my PFD. Last time surfing santa cruz, I surfed right into a thick kelp bed that tripped my fins up. I went over, swept for a roll on side, got tangled in the kelp. Went to roll on the other side and got even more tangled. I bailed out of the waveski and worked my way back on to the ski in between waves and freeing as much as I can from the kelp. In the process of kicking around, one of my legs got all wrapped up as well. The gist of it is that I did get back on the waveski and pulled the knife to cut off pieces of kelp wrapped around one arm/paddle and one leg. I was not in the direct break zone, more soup, but still wanted to get the heck out of there and didn't want to spend any more time trying manually unwrap myself. I stretched the kelp fronds and cut them loose. Got to an area where I felt safer and removed the pieces.

After the last no name nor'easter, two lobster traps with attached buoys got blown right into the area of my home break. The three of us out there were able to surf around the buoys but it really made me nervous to have those lines out there right in the surf area. Though I (and the other two surfers) didn't get caught in the lines, I was glad that I had a knife on my PFD. I was tempted to cut the buoys free but thought better of it since this would have simply left the lines flowing freely while attached to the lobster traps underneath, making the lines an unseen danger.

sing

Knife
To fight off sharks and those giant squid.( And to spread peanut butter.) Vaughn Fulton

gerber knives mostly
always stay in the sheath…it is a good design.

nevertheless, personally lost one outta the sheat years ago during a rescue when it got whacked climbing back into the boat…and then on the “heard but not seen” score, local club performing rescues, swimmer flailing around in getting back into boat somehow managed to grab rescuers KNIFE and pull from sheath and so now there’s the poor rescuer trying to get someone back in their boat with the added challenge of that person waving a knife around…delightful.