Kayaks for the dilapidated

V-8 Fun
For half the cost of a shared assisted living room, you can finance this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGGOB1onDc

No compromise, no dilapidation, just get out of the comfort zone and really enjoy the water.

Dilapidated paddlers

– Last Updated: Dec-02-14 10:25 PM EST –

In an excellent piece in Sea Kayaker magazine in December, 2013 Dr. Constance Mier, an expert in exercise physiology, addresses the issues of aging paddlers. Dr. Mier wrote that the loss of muscle and bone mass in baby boomers is inevitable but that diet and good supplemental training can slow or even reverse the effects of aging. Weightlifting exercises, stretching, and balance training can extend the effective performance levels of paddlers in their second half century. Her message seems to be that if you kayak to stay in shape, you do so at the expense of your on-water performance. If, on the other hand, you stay in shape with supplemental activities--cardiovascular and resistance training--, your kayaking will be improved. I hope Jake and other seniors like me will keep ourselves in the best shape we can and stay out on the water paddling with strength and health.

Here’s The Article:
http://www.mikemisselwitz.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sk_dec_2013-dld.pdf

Guess, It’s time to get the old rusted dumbbells out and Bob Hoffman’s STRENGTH & HEALTH magazines that I hid away somewhere when I got drafted. Couldn’t afford them Vic Tanny gyms untill I got out and started receiving monthly GI Bill checks.

If anyone has any hints about avoiding
dilapidation through chemo I am all ears. Otherwise all this preaching just noise.

Plus how do you paddle with a port?

times have changed
Exercise doen’t have to be torture, and people obsess less over specific muscles and their appearances.

“just noise”?
I think that’s a little harsh, and not really true. Having had several family members, including both parents, go through cancer treatments I can report that exercise does have a tremendous positive impact on well-being, recovery and quality of life for people in that situation, of any age.

My mom was in her mid-60’s when she had to have a radical mastectomy including removal of axillary tissue followed by chemo. She had always been fairly active but not really athletic, but I persuaded her to join the excellent health club I’ve belonged to for years and their staff (which includes exercise physiologists) developed a training program for her that included water aerobics and Nautilus circuits. She stuck with it and the workouts increased her endurance and energy, reduced the nausea and fatigue from treatments and even built up tissue in the areas that had been stripped by surgery. She ended up feeling stronger and more physically confident than before her diagnosis. She continued the workouts and stayed active for another 20 years, traveling often and doing projects around her house including laying a large brick patio by herself at the age of 70. She also lost enough weight that her hypertension resolved.

Then, when she turned 78, she slipped on icy steps and suffered a spiral leg fracture that required 2 months in a cast and also caused some vertebral disc damage that gave her paralyzing attacks of sciatic pain. Thanks to returning to the gym as well as aggressive PT and massage and exercises recommended by a good chiropractor, she was able to avoid back surgery (and completely eliminated the sciatica) and regained excellent mobility and physical confidence in her final years. Even in her 80’s we used to regularly take hikes together of several miles and at one point I had to chase her off her porch roof because she had climbed out there to sweep leaves off the roof.

My grandmother survived abdominal cancer 19 years past when she was given a 6 month terminal prognosis and ascribed it to healthy diet and determined daily exercise. And my very active dad used to walk and take the bus to and from his chemo treatments, much to the chagrin of his physician.

Don’t know about a port, but I kayaked some years ago with a friend who had a post-surgical stent in place. We taped it up with high-grade waterproof sealing adhesive bandages and then wrapped his trunk in saran wrap under a wetsuit jacket and he paddled all day without contaminating the device.

The older I get (64 now) the more acutely I notice how regular strength and endurance workouts are vital to my well-being. When I stop hitting the gym for more than a week or two I can feel crepitude sneaking up on me. I start feeling tired and achy, but getting back in the routine, at least so far, makes that go away.

yes… just noise
I am in the gym for now but having watched others go through chemo am not looking forward to six months of it post surgery…

I have not started yet. The people I saw had trouble getting around much less doing weightlifting and in the gym…

I know I will be banned from weightlifting for a while. with port and abdominal surgery.

You may note I am a little testy with the preaching… I need some concrete help… Not just " I knew someone"

Well,
…okay, “grumpy.” No stories about friends or family members recovering and…

Your off- season is going to suck. But I can’t think of any reason you would not be able to recover, once the mandatory poisoning is over with. PEOPLE RECOVER FROM DAMAGE FROM TEMPORARY MALNUTRITION. All the time. Even at older ages.

Ignore the traditional (the “Standard American Diet” kills a lot of people, all by itself) and do what works for you, yourself, during the recovery phase, which will have to be nutrient-dense. But during “chemo phase” give yourself permission to have a “time out” to feel sick.

Those people you see who don’t look so whoop, probably were not in very good physical condition to begin with, and lacked motivation to get back to the enjoyable exercise they weren’t doing anyway. And they are probably existing on junk foods, because they didn’t have a plan or they don’t know any better.

sorry its a poor me day
My off season never used to exist. Whether in a dry suit on the Atlantic or in Florida, paddling was my passion.

Nuff said.

anyone who hasn’t been there
…is at the limit of their capabilities with preaching. The only things I could say are things I’d bet you’re already doing. Except maybe giving yourself some room to lapse from time to time (maybe).

Check With A Doctor Who Paddles First
They just don’t want it to become infected. However, if it is fully encased under the skin, with no tail sticking out, and all you feel is the bump, then maybe they’ll allow you to paddle?

yes
I know someone who paddled with a port, it was left in during remission.

cannabis
Honestly, having been involved partially or wholly in caring for loved ones going through chemo, the absolute best thing for the food aversion nausea and to stave off cachexia is any form, legal or illegal, of cannabis. It does help the inevitable anxiety too, and aids in enjoying life. I would say to do whatever you can to have it be an available option for you – hope you reside in an enlightened State.

Sorry, did not mean to sound preachy or flip. And you are completely entitled to grouse. It sucks.

Kim, best wishes for future health!
I don’t know what cancer you are facing and have little knowledgeable advice to give on treatment/recovery. Tom and Karen would be among the best folks to talk through this with.

All I can state is that quality nutrition is very helpful for everyone, healthy or recovering. However, chemo patients I known often have little interest in eating at all and certain “favorite” foods suddenly become revolting.

Bang yourself through treatment in your usual straight forward manner and I’ll try to get over to the Adirondack Freestyle gathering so you can tell me how you beat the cancer.

Dave

You Might Try Sit Inside Outrigger Vaa
To extend your paddling years like this blind paddler is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g7CIGVR16U

Shike’s cockpit
Jake, I’ve only just noticed your post. The size and shape of the Shrike’s cockpit is at your discretion. For example, as I have a replacement knee, and also am tired of capsizing while trying to get out of small cockpits, my Shrike’s cockpit is 33 inches long. A crucial feature of the Shrike project is that you can change everything above the water line. So you could build a Shrike with whatever size of cockpit suits you, whatever knee clearance you want, and shrink or expand the length and beam of the kayak to suit your needs. See

http://cnckayaks.com/shrike/ for pictures of my 33" cockpit version

Regards.

Nick.