Kayaks sold out everywhere?

About the same pattern, except day touring is down to two boats. Still reasonable selection in long boats.

Getting a delivery of some Eddylines in August, already selling boats off the truck.

Canoes going the same.

Keith

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought it might be better than starting another new one.

Have kayak stocks/availability started to stabilize again yet?

The stores around where I live still seem to have very low stock. Like, one appears to only have 2 sit inside, rec or touring type kayaks in store, and the rest are only available for pre-order. (They have some WW and a few SOT fishing kayaks) But I’m not sure if that’s because inventory is still hard for them to get, or because I live in Alberta, Canada and it’s winter here (lakes and rivers frozen, kind of winter) so they haven’t attempted to get much stock this time of year.

The only ones I’ve seen in the used listings in the last 2-3 months are a couple of WW kayaks, or one or two long sea kayak types. I’m just looking for something like a 12-14’ recreational or light touring kind of boat. The kind that would be maybe up to $1500 to buy new.

I’d love to get a good deal on a used one, but I’m thinking it might be 2022 before there’s a lot of those available.

I think that there might be a lot of used kayaks available sooner than that. I suspect that a lot of people that bought kayaks over the last year thinking it might be a neat thig to do during the pandemic might have found that kayaking was not for them. At the same time those people and others that were thinking of selling a kayak did not want to deal with strangers coming by just yet. Additionally, most people know that it is easier to sell a boat in the Spring and you can generally get a better price.

Optimistically, if all goes really well with the vaccine availability and distribution, things might start to improve around late Spring or early Summer.

Shop owner here. Some of the major brands are at the point where they’re not accepting additional orders for 2021 from their retailers, since their production schedules are already full for this winter and spring with pre-season orders.

With your budget, there are a lot to pick from in terms of models from the major lines, but you should still move sooner rather than later, since with certain boats, folks are pre-buying incoming shipments (in our case, at least, some shipments scheduled for March and April are already completely sold out, particularly for boats in that $1000-1400 range).

In terms of predicting what will appear with used, no one knows, but my guess is that the used market won’t be as full of one-and-done boats as is commonly suggested. Given how hard it was to get a boat this summer in the first place, and that some of these folks were waiting 2 and 3 months to get what they ordered, it’s counter-intuitive to me that they’ll just dump something that was that hard to get. I might be wrong, but we’ll see.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply @Offshore.

It’s definitely helpful to know that the pre-orders are already booked that far out.

I’ve been wondering if a lot of people might also be planning to do more physical distancing this year too, since it’s going to take a long time for a lot of people to get the vaccines, assuming people are even willing to get it.

1890 where are you located? In eastern NC, kayaks can still be found. Especially on the used market. You may need to drive a few hours, but kayaks are out there. I look through Market Place and Craigslist, every day or two. Several nice kayaks are available, with in a 50-250 mile radius.

I’m in Alberta, Canada. I’m pretty sure our kayak season is much shorter than NC. :slightly_smiling_face: