Keep your rear deck clear?

I keep my …
spare paddle on the rear deck, and my paddle float right behind me on the rear deck.

On the front, I keep my GPS, my bilge pump, my throw bag and my water bottle.

If I am heading out on an extended camping trip I usually have a ton of other stuff on the rear deck as well.

Cheers,

JackL

Why?
Doesn’t matter to me personally - do whatever works for you of course - but for people reading and thinking about the options it might be good to add why you prefer have all that stuff out on deck.

What you describe closely matches a lot of paddlers I see on the water, but I just don’t see the advantage to all that being up there. The spare, yes - wherever you feel you can get to it. GPS when in use - of course - but the rest?

I’d have thought you’d be more of the clean deck/gear stowed type.

The clear deck crowd has given reasons - how about the rest of you junkies?

OK Chris:
Where do you keep your water bottle?

My bilge pump: I want it the second I get back in my yak in the event of a self rescue. Hence the front deck. I don’t want to be fumbling behind my back seat trying to get it.

My throw bag: I don’t leave home without it. About twelve years ago it stopped a person from going over some falls. I keep it right under where my front bungees cross.

The only time my rear deck is piled up is as I said above when we are going on an extended.

Cheers,

JackL

Well…
I wasn’t looking for a who’s setup is better debate, just curious of the advantages to topside stuff.

Since you asked (thought I covered this above):

I don’t usually carry bottles. My hydration pack is much more convenient. It rides behind my seat. Tube will snake out under the rim of the skirt if I want it closed. Only takes one hand and a split second to access the tube - or go hands free with a clip to PFD (as a racer - thought you’d aready be set up like this). If I need extra water - I can get 2-3 20oz sport size bottles in my under deck bag.

My bulge pump is between my shins just under the foredeck over my under deck bag (see picture above). Paddle float’s folded and stuffed between right seatpost and hull. Both are right at the edge of the cockpit coaming and super easy to reach from inside or outside the cockpit - in or out of the water.

I do have to open the skirt (hot here so it’s usually open anyway) to get to pump or float, but only breifly. I’ll only really need them if I’m out of the boat or have already popped the skirt anyway. I can still share them with others quite easily too. Usually rafted up for partner rescues anyway.

Throw bag - I rarely carry mine. Probably should, but I don’t paddle the sorts of rivers you do. No falls, no strainers. No one going anywhere fast, getting tangled, or cold. Plenty of time for options. I can see how you might want that handy in your waters.

Racing is another matter
No GPS, no water bottle, (just a bladder with a drinking tube attached to a neck band), no throw bag, no spare paddle.

I still keep my paddle float on the deck behind me, and my bilge pump on the front deck

Cheers,

JackL

Can you say “yard sale”?

– Last Updated: Sep-16-04 8:33 AM EST –

Perhaps this isn't applicable to the type of paddling that Jack does, but one big disadvantage to having all that stuff on your deck is that if you get whacked by a wave, you're going to lose most of it and spend a lot of time gathering it all up again. It's not something you want to have to do in rough water. I've witnessed this many times and had it happen to me before I switched to the "clean deck" school of thought. Even in relatively calm water, I've scooped many water bottles that were shed by boats in front of me. Bungees are lousy at securing anything with any real weight to it and I won't trust that to hold more than a hood or pair of gloves.

and…
…even if it’s all tethered and not just slipped under, you’ve still got a lot of re-arranging to do (in conditions that knocked them loose in the first place) - and the stuff’s that much harder to access anyway.

Even our small Florida waves, chop, and sometimes evil wake/seawall effects knock gear loose - and usually at not exactly the best moments.

Unless the main reason
you need a pump is to pump out the occasional rec kayaker whom you encounter in a swamped boat, or if you use a sea sock, in which case there is no storage within the cockpit.

Sanjay

Part of the “clean deck” group
I already gave my reasons above, but to add a couple of things:

I use a hydration pack. It seems to work better for me because I use it more often than stopping to grab a bottle. I keep moving which is nice in rough water, too. It weighs a little on my back, but would be neutral if I’m in the water.

I use a waist belt towing system, works fine for me but have thought about adding a quick-release to the boat. If I do it, that would be the only thing on the rear deck.

My pump is in the day hatch, but it’s a fairly tight fit. I’ll probably set up something in the cockpit so it’s more accessible.

I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, and I don’t always follow my advice on calm water - but it seems to work for me.

No, I only go out…
…when the water is like glass.

I would loose all my gear if there was a ripple.

Cheers,

JackL

there goes a water bottle
Since starting this post, I’ve also tried to keep things off my front decking as well except for a Nalgene bottle. Well, some sizable waves on a paddle this weekend swept away that Nalgene! Bungees can’t do everything I guess!

Deck mounted tow rigs
"I use a waist belt towing system, works fine for me but have thought about adding a quick-release to the boat. If I do it, that would be the only thing on the rear deck."

You haven’t lived until you’ve met up with a fairlead while scooting up the deck during a cowboy rescue. OUCH! :wink:

Hehe…

– Last Updated: Sep-19-04 10:07 PM EST –

When I first saw this thread I was laughing to myself because I'm the WORST when it comes to piling shi* on my deck. Take a look at this picture from my Catawba River five-day trip..I look like I'm piloting a tramp steamer!!

http://www.x-plane.org/users/beachav8r/cat36.jpg

This was an extended trip down a very docile river (except Landsford area which had some Class II/borderline III) so losing stuff wasn't a problem. Since I was carrying all my own water (4 gallons) that took up most of the foreward hatch space and all the other camping gear/luxury items took up the rest of the space. The dry bag on the back deck held the bulky sleeping bag..the front deck my mini-paddle (since replaced with a true full size spare), pump, paddle float...

The orange Otter Box on the front for my video and still cameras..I spend more time shooting pictures than paddling usually :) The yellow Sea-Line deck bag held snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, a small solar powered AM/FM radio. Paddling for 12 hours and 57 miles I feel I needed all of those things...but that's just me.

I'm not a minimalist kayaker...hiker yes..kayaker definitely not..I figure with all that volume I can go with everything I want..matter of fact I think a QCC will be my next boat (I hear you actually CAN put a kitchen sink in one!).

Lol..

BeachAV8R

Poster Boy!
Great picture!

As for QCCs - The Q500 probably will hold the kitchen sink! Get a Q600 or Q700 and I think you’ll be happier though. They still hold plenty, but better for the lighter days too.

I’m 6’ 2", about 185 lbs…so which QCC would you recommend? That is a Cape Horn 17 in the picture…it fits pretty well for my height…

Thanks…

BeachAV8R

Easy
The Q700.

There are people bigger than you in 600s that swear by them, but I prefer the feel of the 700. There are also much lighter paddlers happy with 700s.

700 has a flatter and slightly lower rear deck (only QCC with it) that should make it easier for you to pile gear on!

Spent a few more hours in mine today. Appreciate it more every time I paddle it (and even more every time I paddle something else!). It really does have and incredible mix of speed and stability. It takes good care of me, and if I can roll one - well, it has to be an easy roller!

Cool…
I’ve been eyeing that Q700X ad that comes up when I log on to P-Net… :slight_smile: Do you have the rudder or skeg?

BeachAV8R

Not good !!!
I see a little bit of space on both the front and rear decks where you could have put some more stuff.

Looks like the happy paddler heading out for a great adventure.

I don’t have to ask if’ “you are Happy?” the picture tells it all.

Cheers,

JackL

I’m one of the…
…oddballs that has a QCC with a skeg. The stock control cord setup is a bit lacking - but I modifed it to something much more fine tunable and reliable. That done - the skeg balances it very effectively in wind.

The boat certainly doesn’t need a rudder to turn - but if you’ll race a lot it may be the better option.

A few others here have the skeg too, most have the rudder.

Ask JackL or Swedge what they think of the rudder L - or just read JackL’s recently posted Q700 review. Others can will fill in any positives.

So much has been said in favor of the boat I have yet to post a review myself - after well over a year. It just keeps getting better, as do I because of it.

Hehe…actually I was grinning so big in that photo because I was at the END of my trip! I was about as badly sunburned as I’d ever gotten and with the river flooding so badly during my trip it was a relief to pull into Santee-Cooper State Park to see my girlfriend waiting :slight_smile:

You are right though…there was definitely more room on the deck for stuff…so on my next trip, Savannah to Augusta, I piled even MORE crap on deck:

http://www.x-plane.org/users/beachav8r/savriv1.jpg

Can you believe all of that crap actually fit inside and outside of that boat?? I ate well on that trip though…brought a Dutch oven and had browned beef with nachos one night and Shake-N-Bake spicy pork another night…mmmm…it was worth all the weight! :slight_smile:

http://www.x-plane.org/users/beachav8r/savriv2.jpg

BeachAV8R

JackL - I figured you’d have been washed away by now out west of us…you get any damage from all the rain/water?