keeping a heading in the wind

getting off topic
"my post about edging when the fella seemed to discount edging"

My apologies, but when did I discount edging?

I wanted and still want advice on how to deal with a situation and not about …sitting on the dock admiring the nasty weather …or something like that.

I learn a lot from pnet … its just that sometimes people go off topic. No need to delete posts or anything to that measure. I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just here to learn.

be happy.

-assad

good advice
Will try the trimming weight idea when the wind blows next time round. I think balasting the stern will help too. I always feel like there is no stern on this boat (its so LV and has so much rocker!).

Thanks for your advice.

-assad (also known as jarraa ;))

I did it myself
I installed an ONNO/Tideline skeg about a year ago. Very happy with it.

The Sparrow Hawk may be a bit tougher to install a skeg (I’m saying this from memory, so don’t take it as gospel) because of the lower rear deck, and as I recall, the hatches may be smaller than what I was dealing with. You need to know how much clearance you have from keel to deck, so that you will know which skeg will fit, or in the case of a custom-made skeg, how tall the cassette can be, allowing for control cable clearance.

That said, it wasn’t hard to do, just required a lot of patience and planning.

The Sparrow Hawk is a sweet boat. A skeg would make it even better, IMO.

Wayne

you’re funny!

what other people say
doesn’t always correlate with reality. Some folks pass off correctable weathercocking as “no” weathercocking. What is correctable for some folks isn’t correctable for others because of skill or weight differences.

curmudgeon
There’s no trick involved, it’s called developing skills for the conditions that can occur while paddling. You can’t chose what conditions develop when you’re already out there. If he can paddle his kayak with no problem up to 10mph winds but is maxed out at 15mph winds it’ll take paddling in 15mph winds to find out why.

From his post I don’t read anything about going into dangerous conditions.

sounds like

– Last Updated: Apr-07-07 9:25 AM EST –

where you put the blade on BOTH sides and how you move it is next. Try something different with the downwind blade.

inflation

What a strange argument you’ve constructed.

The problem with practicing in heavy weather is an increased risk for damage/injury. So you narrow down the parameters/goals with much greater specificity than “practice in heavy weather” to ensure a reasonably safe learning environment.

If it’s not safe enough then it’s not an acceptable risk.

You must be joking about adrenaline laced fear as an appropriate learning context. What you call a near instantaneous learning curve is just as likely to be tunnel vision with no situational awareness or time to observe a technique, practice the technique and process the action/feedback.

#3=ignorance is bliss.

seems to me the problem is that you aren’t differentiating degrees of risk in a range of conditions.

“I really can’t say that I find stress a positive contributor to enjoyment.”

exacly, so you work within a progression of dificult conditions. You appear to portray two types of conditions,Safe and unsafe irrespective of skills. For some folks 15mph and 1’ waves is maxed out, for others it’s just the beginning.

Good original question, as I asked
about the effects of back winds on asymmetrical paddling craft some time back. The responses were varied, although I did surmise that trim is very critical from the advice. From my own limited experience, I think that asymmetrical paddling craft perform somewhat poorly in backwinds. Try some testing with back winds, and see what you think.

Only other comment is that if your technique worked right in one boat, and not in another, then the circumstances are probably not right for the paddler/boat/technique in the boat that didn’t respond right.

We are all at some point of learning, in our enjoyment of paddling, so keep paddling on!

best advice
switch to a Chatham 18

Duh… LOL