Keeping food cold for multiple days on a kayak

On the Great Lakes I have a Sawyer Squeeze and Smartwater bottles in the day hatch, plus a poly bottle (repurposed Stok coffee bottle) that has nice grooves for the deck bungies to grip. The Squeeze came with a bag but I don’t use it; the “dirty” Smartwater bottle is the one that is crumbled up from squeezing. I fill when I’m out away from land, only takes a couple of minutes to get 4 liters.

2 liter soda bottles…Put a string around the neck so you can retrieve them from the bow…Sometimes they get stuck. Multi gallon jugs are hard to pull on chickees.

Two weeks in the Everglades with such a system… You can’t drink the water there as its brackish… Up Willy WIlly way you can but I would rather not mess with a filter in gator filled waters.

I purchased a gravity water filter with a 10L bag, and I have a 10L water bag to use as a clean water reservoir. There’s 4 of us and I’m expecting to collect water twice a day. We’ll have coffee in the morning and hot cocoa for the kids, and bring powdered drink mixes in case the water isn’t the best tasting.

We’re willing to compromise on the beverages. It didn’t use to be that way, but my days of seeing how many beers I can stash within reach on a kayak are over.

Nice sunset. Islands north of Hero are where we’re going. We’re spending a night on Woods Island, followed by a night on Knight Island, departing and returning to Knight Point state park. It’s not far to paddle, the longest leg is 5 miles out to Woods Island. So it should be a nice easy introduction, as long as the weather cooperates.

We decided on Lake Champlain because my kids wanted to camp at Grand Isle state park one more time. It was the first place we ever took them camping. So we’ll do a few nights car camping followed by a couple nights on the islands.

2 Likes