Kiptopeke Symposium

Learning and honing skills from experts in adverse conditions sounds ideal. Those are the conditions under which those skills are most needed. I’ll bet a more rewarding experience than a flat calm summer day. Here’s hoping for lousy weather for you. :wink:

1 Like

I am signed up to go. I haven’t even looked at the weather forecast because unless there is a hurricane blasting through, I am going to go. I expect to get wet either in the water or from rain!

Other members from my club have attended in years past. In fact, I understand that last year the weather was very foul and they just shifted the courses around to accommodate the wave height and wind, etc. My club members brought their dry suits and people initially thought they were out of their mind, but when it started pouring out, everybody wish that they had brought theirs. I intend to bring my dry suit and play it day by day.

Also, not sure where the weather forecast is coming from. I’m looking at NOAA and for Friday at says there’s a 40% chance of precipitation, for Saturday, 50% chance of precipitation and windy. And basically the same for Sunday. That basically describes the weather forecast for yesterday when I was out for eight hours, and it was a delightful day other than for some wind and chop in the late afternoon.

Quote from an old timer in our canoe club as we sit around the campfire discussing a paddle the next day with an inclement forecast from the weather man. “The weather man has ruined more canoe trips than the weather ever has.”

1 Like

I believe Brodie is from down this way, though on the other side of the state (FL).
One really ‘acclimates’ to the climate.
When I lived in Minnesota, I looked forward to Stan Chladek’s ‘Gales of November’ on the north shore of Lake Superior (in late Oct or early Nov). Long drive to a couple of days in blustery, cold air and water.
These days, if the temps get much below 50, I’ll bundle up like Northerners bundle up for winter temps.

Yes - most other folks’ idea of cold is not my idea of cold. While low 70s air/water temps, overcast and rain might sound balmy to some, I’m coming from 100+ heat indices, 90 degree water and wall to wall sunshine. I’d be an icicle.

So despite everyone’s best efforts to convince me to go (which were quite impressive!!) I bailed. Rick was kind enough to refund my registration. If things work out in the future I would definitely like to go, but this wasn’t the year for me.

1 Like

So the organizer has sent out email offering refunds for those who don’t want to attend. It sounds like he came very close to canceling the whole thing but some people suggested he should run it anyway. There will be significant modifications to the courses because of the high winds and waves.

I was going down there to brush up on my maneuvering skills and learn how to roll. I wasn’t going there to learn how to surf in the first place. So here’s my question.:

Would you make the 6 Hour trip under the circumstances knowing that there’s a fair to moderate possibility that either your session would be canceled or that it would be modified.? I’m skeptical that I would get very much out of a rolling class, taking place in heavy wind and waves.

The thing about kayaking is it is always very dependent on the weather. You want to get to the point where you can handle what mother nature throws at you. If the organizers have a protected spot where you can learn to roll, I would go. It may turn into bracing , wet exit, rescue class, but it would be worth learning in real conditions. On the west coast a six hour drive to Jalama or 9 hours to Santa Cruz to meet with other paddlers and take a chance on what Mother Ocean is doing just part of the sport.

1 Like

going for it. Experience is experience even if a bit unpleasant at times!

4 Likes

I hope it works out well for you! Please report back.

Last year had similar weather on Friday (hurricane off shore). Everyone was still able to get in some time on the water.

I just checked and Kiptopeke State Park where the symposium is being held is closing from 8 pm Thursday (now) to at least Saturday due to the tropical storm warning in effect.

My kayak is on the car, I’m heading for the Keys tomorrow morning. Weather looks a little rainy but hopefully not too stormy.

I drove eight hours and 10 minutes to the park yesterday and arrived five minutes after the Ranger closed it! The organizer was devastated, to say the least. He was for a short period of time trying to find alternative lodging for the people still on the way to the park but the more he looked at the weather forecast the more he realized that most of the event would be completely Wrecked by the weather. The weather situation had really deteriorated from earlier in the morning and the evening before. Nothing you can really do about that. The park ranger even told people, camping Trailers and mobile homes to clear out.

I drove all the way back home, probably the furthest I’ve driven in one sitting. I spent maybe 30 minutes at the park, helping the organizer and a couple of other attendees call people on the phone and tell them not to come. In that short time interacting with the organizer and the other people, I realized that I will have to come back next year. They were some of the nicest people I’ve met.

3 Likes

Ugh, bummer!! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ve got some good kayaking karma coming up.

I’m actually glad I went in a strange sort of way. I was looking to bail when I saw the weather on Wednesday. Then had a discussion with a couple of people who encouraged me to get outside my comfort zone in terms of wind and waves. So I committed and went.

It was canceled, which is different from me quitting.

5 Likes

Great attitude!

1 Like

Sorry I had some really bad advice, did not realize the storm track was that close.

Oh, I don’t think the State or the organizers realized until late Thursday morning. I’m disappointed because I wanted to learn and gain experience. But having met Rick and a few other people I know I made the right decision to enroll and drive. I’ll be back!

2 Likes