kit kayaks

That’s why Bill Master’s got rich
building roto-molded ww boats.

only hearsay
when I was working at CLC I had just built a Northbay and CLC had just put a Northbay XL into the demo fleet. Jay who was doing a LOT of prototyping,running the CNC machine and eventually the production was helping me to redesign a Northbay type kayak, something skinny and fast but without the Northbays glaring limitations. What I came up with was 18’ long and 21" wide. Max length/beam measurments are pretty much meaningless because it’s above the waterline and doesn’t correlate to what’s in the water or the shape in the water.

What I can say is that the Night Heron is based on Nick Schades experience as a paddler and regular participant in races like the Blackburn Challenge. Nick is a skilled paddler who likes maneuverable kayaks from what I’ve seen of his other boats and heard from other paddlers. I’ve heard more than one person say it was more stable than expected. Rocker and flattish bottoms can do that.

What I cobbled together was about 80% ‘there’ to what I wanted. I am guessing that the Night Heron IS ‘there’ for a fast and maneuverable kayak for a 175lb + paddler. Pretty sure it would be big for a 135lb paddler although it surely fits the description of “sport racer”.

Thanks for the skinny, LeeG!

– Last Updated: Oct-13-08 6:22 PM EST –

I'm 180lbs...And I like maneuverabiliy.

--And are you other guys kidding? Do you really
think the OP and myself are looking at kits like
this for use on whitewater??? (I can't speak for
zzz, but I'm looking at the kit-built for use mainly on the Hudson close to where I live...I'll stick with my little plastic boats on the creeks and in rock stuff.

The Night Heron appeals to me because a nearby
woodworking school is offering a 6-day intensive self-build workshop. In other words, I get to put the majority of the boat together in the class, fairly quickly, and NOT at home. As a carpenter myself, I have no extra room that doesn't already have a works-in-progress project going on. And the little room left over, is being taken up with other boats I already own! (I know, I know -- Such problems.) Besides, I like the idea and discipline of knocking a boat out under the watchful eye of an experienced "yakwright." Also, the price for both the workshop combined with the kit is really quite reasonable.

yup
i want a 16-18’ long wooden boat to run some serious vertical with.

or, maybe i’ll just use it for some touring, and general paddling when the rivers are low :slight_smile:

Just make sure

– Last Updated: Oct-14-08 9:05 AM EST –

all the pools beneath that "serious vertical"
are seriously deep...You don't want any nice new
wood-kit boat becoming boofed-to-bits!

nope I wasn’t kidding

– Last Updated: Oct-14-08 10:33 PM EST –

looks like the OP wants a wooden kayak for creek running---but maybe he's kidding

Who knew??? (nm)

One last thing before
this thread runs off the front page . . .

I always read with awe the information and level of expertise displayed by LeeG in his feedback on choosing a boat that will meet the personal needs of a paddler. Just over a year ago, I was in a similar stage of trying to make a decision on which kits I would choose to build for my wife and myself.

Both through posts here on PNet and private emails, LeeG helped us make the decision to buy and build our AT 14s - and not a time goes by when we take these boats out paddling that I don’t feel grateful for his expert advice.

My wife’s boat fits her perfectly, while mine fits me well, but I am further up in the weight range for the boat - so both perform exactly as he predicted. The other day, while paddling in fairly high winds on Lake James (north end), we were delighted with how well these boats performed, with virtually no weathercocking in crosswind and the sensation of speed paddling into the wind across the water was awesome. More than ever, it was evident that fit-of-the-boat to the paddler is as important as one’s choice of the boat - exactly as LeeG and the Pygmy people had informed us.

Yep…
Gotta get Joel to drag Lee down to the Everglades one of these days. :slight_smile:

Add me to the list of folks
who have benefited from LeeG’s generous and knowledgeable advice. There are a lot of LeeG’s over on the kayakforum builder’s bulletin board, and on WestCoastPaddler’s site–experienced builders who are always willing to share their expertise. Boat building seems to be a hobby that attracts a lot of generous souls.

Ditto

wasn’t clear
sorry, i wasn’t clear with the OP. I was giving my background, not the intended use of a new sea kayak.