Kneeling in Canoe?

Padding material
I use a “Bell” brand pad that’s about 10 inches wide and long enough to span the whole width of the hull. If I put it where my knees go, there’s no reason to ever step on it and get it dirty because it doesn’t extend that far in front of the seat. Because it spans the whole width of the boat, I can put my knees anywhere that they can reach while my butt is touching the seat. It could never blow around in the boat - it’s too heavy for that, and it absolutely will not slip. It sort of “sticks” wherever you put it, but not due to any actual tackiness of the back surface. It just really grips a smooth surface and won’t move. Plenty of padding there too, as it is a rather dense foam. It also has a grommet for attaching a line, so you won’t lose it if you flip the boat.

As to that unstable feeling I get with my knee pads, it could be my boney knees. I am very thin, and lots of guys have knees that are half again as big around as mine. The cause could be as simple as that, and if your knee pads work well for you, you have the padding problem licked.