kneeling in canoe?

I kneel more every year, but…
the comfort level is immensely effected by my fit in the boat and the appropriate outfitting and a good kneeling pad.

A comfortable kneeling pad (that doesn’t slike around) and shoes/mukluks with flexible and non-binding ankles probably made the biggest improvement in kneeling for me - my Chota Mukluk Lites are the most comfortable kneeling footwear I’ve ever tried. Before the Mukluk Lites, I rarely knelt for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Now I can kneel for up to an hour at a time in a boat that fits me well for kneeling.

its a control versus comfort issue,
so as you progress you find more control kneeling,and can do more in the boat but at a certain age or because of diminishing physical conditioning you find that being comfortable becomes a bigger priority. You are more willing to sacrifice performance.

I also now buy kayaks with bigger cockpits, wear sprayskirts that are much looser- and dress way better for conditions then when I paddled in “the good ol’ days.” Sunscreen and and sunglasses actually get used now, and my drysuits now have relief zippers and I found canoe routes that facilitate portage carts. I still haven’t completely grown up- I still don’t own a light composite boat or carry a first aid kit, or whistle but I’m getting to that point soon. “Mature” paddlers sit. Others kneel. Besides, its way easier to pass the Grey Poupon with both cheeks firmly planted on the seat!

OK - It is a aging male, ex ,----
marathoner with a bone on bone knee problem

jack l

Use a long kneeling pad

– Last Updated: Aug-04-14 5:40 PM EST –

A foam kneeling pad goes from your knees to just beyond your toes. Cut one of those large foam pool "noodles" in half lengthwise. Duct tape half a noodle to the kneeling pad so that it fills the gap under your ankles when you kneel.

If you do not have a canoe seat suitable for resting your butt when kneeling, get a soft sided cooler, 6-pack size. Stuff it with firm foam. This is your seat. The seat combined with the ankle noodle will keep you comfortable for a long time.

Having said that, I almost never kneel. As a marathon canoe racer, I can't think of anyone who does kneel instead of sit when racing. Maybe there are some, perhaps in solo race classes, but I can't think of any who frequent the long distance marathon canoe race circuit.

merit in sitting and kneeling
Hit and switch while sitting is organized and logical for speed.

But you will never see many a FreeStyler heeling the boat to the rail while sitting.

There are many aspects of paddlesport to become proficient in.

Can last only a short time kneeling
But it is an essential part of my bag of tricks when canoeing. Ten to twenty minutes is all my ankles and knees let me do. But this small amount of time allows me to make it through tricky areas. Other times It keeps my sitting area from getting too sore after a couple of hours. Also kneel when my wife wishes to stand up and paddle or pole in the bow. Being able to move around and change sitting styles is what makes a canoe better for me than a kayak.