Knees/thighs always in contact with boat/braces?

No when your locked in the seat more power is instantly transferred to the paddle and not moving your body backwards.

Characterization of Leg Push Forces and Their Relationship to Velocity in On-Water Sprint Kayaking - PMC.

If you’re not locked in with your legs your locked in how?

Is that study limited to sprints?

Watch any of the major paddling videos or books written on the subject of the forward stroke.

Look at any videos of people racing kayaks.

2 Likes

I think the point is that moving your legs (like pedalling a bike) is not the goal but the result of power transmission with strong body rotation.

2 Likes

Everybody doesn’t race.

It’s not just racing it’s efficient use of your energy even if going 3 MPH

3 Likes

And stick to it. I’m happy you mastered it.

Agreed. Legs straight out (with knees bent) and feet close together as close to center as possible allows you to pump your legs and rotate your torso to get more power from your larger muscle groups. Of course, if the water gets a little rough then it is time for most to lock in. Ultimately, I belive every paddler needs to work out their own comfort level and figure out their own biomechanics, but yes, paddling “surfski style” is proven to be more efficient. And if you fall in and have to swim, then switch to doggy style. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

2 Likes

With many kayaks only having side foot pegs, putting feet together in middle is problematic. I would love to see how some ‘convert’ to more of a footboard so feet can be together, without removing foot pegs. I have thought about pvc with cutouts for footpegs or just a board of material in front of the foot pegs.

1 Like

I can only offer one fact: for every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction. Any energy that moves the paddle without advancing the boat is energy wasted. How you brace, push, pull or twist is all show if it doesn’t move the bost. You are the judge of how to find the right balance, and then you deal with the consequences. You are 100% correct that pushing and pulling will make the boat go faster, and only you can assess the efficiency of that stroke bssed on the feedback from the paddle. If you’re happy, I’m happy. I find that most people slap at the water then pause. They don’t notice that I only swing one stroke for several of theirs. I get tired of waiting for them to learn efficiency, so I paddle solo. Everybody is happy.

Here’s my setup using three-inch foam. Granted, it’s not pretty but does the job. You can see the imprints of the foot braces in the foam. I cut out the center as it’s a handy place to store my bilge pump. I made one for each of my boats

1 Like

There is a commercial solution that might fit what you are thinking about:

The SkegFoot Kayak Footplate System – Expedition Kayaks Australia

2 Likes

I think most sea kayakers, not racers, are doing very little ‘butt rotation’ or ‘forward and back’ butt movement while paddling. If you are pressing very hard on pegs or foam or whatever and that pressure isn’t helping you slide your butt, it’s just energy wasted. If your butt IS sliding, by all means, use your feet to make it happen.

When bicycling you can use your arms and shoulders to add a little power to the pedals… but only if you’re standing on the pedals. Pushing and pulling with your arms is totally wasted energy if you’re sitting in the saddle.

1 Like

Our instructor said “Lift your cheek, like you’re letting a fart excape”
Found edging so much easier than "lifting the thigh against the brace>

3 Likes

I read where it wasn’t the knee action but in the hips. I guess that’s hip action, but I try to remain stationary so I can look at the dog and wrinkle my nose. I wondered why they always come by me to fart because anyone nearby blames me. I notice the dog’s eyebrows and forehead wrinkle when soneones asks that question. Those sneaky scurvy dogs! They do have a sense of humor.

1 Like

Good explanation on how I paddle.

1 Like

He appears to be using a wing paddle in a medium low angle stroke using a feathered paddle with strict paddle box grip. You wanted a video of my technique: swap the wing for a Kalliste, increae length to 250 cm, lower the angle so the hands are skimming the deck

Start the catch with the blade over the gunnel.

End as the blade exits about 42 inches away from the hull. I do t augment the stroke other than torso rotation. Incease cadence tk incresse speed and open grip to improve leverage.

1 Like