Knife advice

I’ve used both the benchmade hook

– Last Updated: Jan-02-08 4:01 PM EST –

and their fixed blade. I prefer the fixed blade for multiple uses and security of the thumb lock sheath, and flawless ease of access when attached to a pfd latch tab. I could never figure out a truly secure way to have the rescue hook readily available. The thumb lock has never accidently released in hundreds of reenteries.

Another method I've seen local paddler use is to tether the sheeth and place it in small pouch the attaches between your shoulder blades made for Kocotat PFD. That is where I keep my flares and some other emergency items.

But all that being said, I don't think you could go wrong with the benchmade rescue hook that brynston likes so much.

Here is the one I use with the yello handle. It's also perfect for saltwater (the only thing I seem to paddle in lately). Not cheap, but extremely well made.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=100SH2O

Easy
One can never have too many knives, keep them both. You will find different uses, times, and places for fixed blade and folding. I have a Benchmade River Knife (fixed blade) on my PFD and several different folders that I use on different occasions for daily carry. Your profile says that you paddle rivers. Say you put in to shore for lunch and leave your PFD on the boat. Do you want to walk back to it for your knife. No, you don’t need to because you have one in your pocket, too.

I have seen accomplished paddlers
get totally panick stricken in a swimming pool practicing rolls and braces when they have had equipment failure or poorly offered assistance. When was the last time any of us have been in a situation that scarred the you know what out of you. How well did you function? There is no worse feeling than having your air supply cut off. If you are the type of person that remains calm in any situation (be honest here) then either knife should be ok. If not, I would suggest a knife that is a quick pull away (well designed retention system) and on a lanyard as long as your reach. Orvis makes a nice retracting wire lanyard for trout fisherman that you can pin to your pfd. If it malfunctions you simply rip it off its pin mount. My knife runs accross my sternum with the handle facing my dominant hand. I drape the lanyard over the sheath in a way that allows it drop drop free when the knife is pulled. No experienced rescuer approaches a drowning swimmer from the victims front because they are totally freaked out and not thinking right. I would remove as many possible obstacles as I could from a life saving tool. JMO

Gerber River Guide
It has a big hole in the handle, The sheath has a flexible stud that fits into the big hole. The knife doesn’t fall out of the sheath, You just press the button to release the knife from the sheath. Great paddling knife.

I’m not advocating carrying nothing…
…to free oneself from entanglement, rather advocating for something at least as effective as a knife, but considerably safer. I haven’t been cut by my own knife either, but as I said before, I came damned close twice (two different knives). A rescue hook - or as Rick suggests, EMT shears - would have been at least as effective on the “trout line” example you cite as a knife would have been. One doesn’t need a knife per se, just SOME effective way of freeing oneself from entanglement.

Titanium FB For Me…
Haven’t lost it over 4 years of usage. It’s attached to my shoulder strap. Yes. I have had to use once to cut myself out of kelp entanglement in the break zone at Santa Cruz.

I have seen floating line and lobster traps in the breakzone that have broken loose from storms. Rather have a knife than not. Plus, I like the knife. Yeah, I have a Rambo thing going. Just wish I had the hair to go with it. :slight_smile:

sing

True but…
…the original poster was looking for a tool for sea kayaking, where strainers are not an issue. There’s a big difference between the risks and conditions on a river vs. the sea. A knife simply isn’t necessary for the latter, but if I paddled rivers, I would carry one to deal with the related problems one encounters.

Here’s a link to the hook I carry
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=6

Myerchin
makes a “Safety Dive Knife” with a serrated blade and a wharncliffe style blade, supposedly to avoid puncturing something if you drop it. It is one heck of a knife! Also, CRKT makes a cute little neck knife called “The dogfish.” It even has a built-in bottle opener!

HA… My Ole Bud…
Mike Sastre. Haven’t seen him in years. :slight_smile: He is a master at making sheaths to fit your needs. He made two beautiful sheaths for my Jerry Hossom Millenium Bowie.

Forgot that he started in the craft by making custom sheaths for folders to be used by ww kayakers.

sing