Knives for PFD's

Very cool knife, but questions
At $38.99 for a titanium knife seems almost too good to be true. a couple of questions on this one.

1. Any compromises you have seen on quality on this one?
  2. How do you sharpen it? With a regular whetstone, or does it require something of greater hardness to get it sharp?
  3. Does it attach securely to your PFD? The two different knives and sheaths I have had have been a challenge to attach to a PFD.
  4. Any issues ordering from this company?

Thanks for posting about this knife. Sounds like a great. Although, my main concern is the overall 7.5 in length. I found my first knife too long. It got in the way of doing re entrys and general paddling.

Not necessarily my choice for…
… having a true knife along, but a similar thread on the Monocacy Canoe Club message board, hundreds of replies to wade through, had several respondents speak glowingly of simple EMT shears. Mind you, these were primarily whitewater folks who wanted a clip-on-the-PFD, quick means for cutting through strainer-snagged lines, fabric, and especially nylon webbing. And when your $2.50 to $5 stainless steel and plastic purchase goes kerplunk to the bottom, there will be none of the tears, as with your deep-sixed $50 titanium sabers, to blurr your next rapid, best-line seeking vision.

When my EMT neighbor gave me a pair, demonstrating their ability to easily clip through a penny, I was impressed. And the blunt scoop on the bottom jaw means I’ll not be perforating myself, PFD, or someone elses carcass should I need to slide the cutting blade between a current tensed line or strap and the me/them festooned to a strainer.

So, they seem to make sense for the job. Just can’t help thinking that at some point I’ll need the quick slashing motion capability that a knife provides.

TW

For Extras
Not good enough for a primary safety knife, but for $20 a Gerber LST is good for an extra(s).

Answers
"At $38.99 for a titanium knife seems almost too good to be true. a couple of questions on this one."

No country of origin on the blade, which leads me to think Taiwan or China. Titanium knives which were for awhile the mainstay of USA company, Mission Knives, cost over $100 for a similar size knife.

1. Any compromises you have seen on quality on this one?

THe sheath is is ordinary plastic as opposed to the more expensive kydex that is found in higher end knife sheaths. The handle is also plastic with rubber inlaid for better grip. I think the sheath may be the weak point – possibility of cracking on high impact. Kydex will not crack.

2. How do you sharpen it? With a regular whetstone, or does it require something of greater hardness to get it sharp?

Titanium knives are kept to a lower Rockwell rating (RC) scale. I believe no more than mid 40’s. After that, it becomes too brittle and will crack if the edge hits something hard. In comparison high end stainless steel - ATS34 (Japanese) and CM154 (US equivilent) - is brought up to a RC rating of 59-60. It is a hard edge but with still enough resiliency to not crack on hitting a staple while cutting. Higher RC rating means a longer lasting edge but it also means a tougher time sharpening. Most steels can sharpen well with regular whetstones, ceramic sharpeners and diamond hones. BTW, ceramic blades are also available. The RC ratings are much higher thus requiring diamond hones. Ceramic being much harder, holds an edge for a very long time. It is also rust proof. However, they’ve been known to crack or shatter when dropped on a stone. Thus not an ideal choice. Stellite/talonite/Boye Dendentric are cobalt based alloys. Never rust and they maintain an edge well (has to do with microsize serrations taking form on the edge). I love this stuff but very expensive. The only factory making a production knife with Cobalt alloy right now is Camillius Knives with their talonite Talon – regular size and mini. Boye knives (semi custom) is using his Boye Dendentric in his fixed blades and folders.

3. Does it attach securely to your PFD? The two different knives and sheaths I have had have been a challenge to attach to a PFD.

There is a loop piece on the sheath (not shown) where you can slide a strap through, or in my case, a piece of velcro fastener that wraps the sheathe to my PFD shoulder harness.

4. Any issues ordering from this company?

Nope. I like the knife and service so much that I ordered another knife along with neo booties and hood.

“Thanks for posting about this knife. Sounds like a great. Although, my main concern is the overall 7.5 in length. I found my first knife too long. It got in the way of doing re entrys and general paddling.”

Too me, this knife is the perfect size for all around utility, except cutting trees. I haven’t had any problem with it hanging things up. But, honestly, I have done a paddle float rescue in awhile, since I roll and/or practice re-enter and roll. The custom talonite knife I lost was in doing a paddle float or partner assisted rescue with Peter K. The knife came out of my sheath and is still at the bottom of Walden Pond somewhere. The sheath lock on the titanium knife is integrated with the handle. A better design though of cheaper material.

sing

well
Did you notice its used by the US military? Service does have its perks!!

Thank, Great Info (eom)

I prefer these Benchmades in H1 alloy
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=100SH2O

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=6+H2O

Buck makes a knife by Ed Gillette
I saw a friend with one on his PFD and after looking at it, decided it would be good for my needs too. It has a 3 3/4" serrated segment and is made from 17-7 SS. Features a line cutter and a wrench. Details at http://www.bestknives.com/buc18tib.html

knife…
…I was going to stay out of this because I’m a

nut case on this subject!

While primarily a WW kayaker, I spent a lot of

time canoeing and camping in swamps in the deep

south. I’ve tried many knives, and this is

what I finally settled on.

A fixed blade, single edge knife with a parkerized

blade. Nearly corrosion proof, it’s my old trusty

USMC K-bar.

Fixed blade because cold and wet, you don’t have

to unfold it. single edge so you can put your

thumb behind the edge for more power.

OK. At 7.5" blade it’s a bit ostentatious, but it

got a good friend of mine through khe Sahn.

I’ve used it for gathering wood, skinning dinner,

cleaning fish, cutting bread, spreading p-nut

butter, fixing ingrown toenails, shaving, and a

couple of times it was all that was between me

and assorted poisonous snakes, gators, and ferral

dogs. I would prefer not to dwell on the uses my

friend put it to, but opening C-rats was one of

the many.

It fits well in a new composite sheath hung upside

down on my pfd’s shoulder strap.

It’s never gotten in the way through some pretty

gnarley water.

They make them with smaller blades, do a search

on k-bar.

Thanks Sing!
Just purchased the titanium knife from the web site you listed. For the price, it’s worth the gamble. I’m a knife freak also, have a 5" tactical knife using now, works well, but looking for something smaller. I think this will work well on the PFD. Also carry a gerber stainless folder clipped to the river shorts just in case. I like to accessorize when on the extended trips, so these knives will work well my .380 Beretta in the cockpit, under the skirt and the 40 cal Glock in the deck bag. A person can never be too safe when in the wilderness…LOL, just kidding. Will let you know how the knife functions upon arrival. Thanks for the info…

I Love That Term…

– Last Updated: Jan-14-04 9:51 AM EST –

"tactical." Just don't put it in association with a folder. My favorite small big knife to take out into the woods is a Himalayan forged khukuri. Took that out into the woods in the middle of winter (and snow) with a tarp, set up a shelter and camped overnight. But, if not a khukuri, it would be a bowie 12" OAL minimum. Small fixed blade for all around putzing in day excursions to the outdoors. Just as important to me as a good lighter and a compass.

You'll find the titanium knife to cut fine. It's a little on the thick side. I think a 3/32 Ti stock over the 1/8" would have made cutting a little more efficient over general toughness. Trade-off. The handle grip is excellent. If you know FMAs, you'll find reverse/forward grip transitions quite easy and sure. Partial top edge also gives additional efficacy in trap and disarms in reverse grip.

sing

No knife on the PFD
Folding knives are too slow to deploy and sheath knives are a liability when they inevitably come out and flop around on their lanyard. If you think about it, what are you actually likely to need a knife for when sea kayaking, other than spreading peanut butter?

My favorite solution to the possibility of entanglement is the Benchmade Rescue Hook.

http://benchmade.com/products/product_list.asp?keyword=hook

I’m currently carrying a Model 5, but have a 6H2O on order. These will cut pretty much anything you’re likely to need to cut and are amazingly sharp, right out of the package. They are now made of steel that is completely salt water resistant. They’re light, handy and out of the way when you don’t need them. If they come out of their sheath, they still cannot cut you.

BTW, the only reason I’m switching models is that the larger one will allow me to clear jammed skegs with the back edge.

6H2O
Isn’t that the tool Worf uses for fighting?