Know before you go

bears, gators and dogs
just goes to show - mother nature laughs last.

the real point of all this is - sometime dogs get eaten cause their masters are stupid; bears kill people because they are stupid and if we don’t pay attention to our surroundings, well dumb luck and mother nature will pay that bill for us.

Dog tastes just like chicken, bear is greasy and gator has the flavor of rattlesnake - its’ one big food chain! Know your place and enjoy it.

Sincerely,

I agree

– Last Updated: Feb-14-08 7:48 PM EST –

Recently a coyote had to be destroyed (had to be destroyed?) because it had the nerve to do what a coyote does, hunt for food. It just happened to come across some skiers who said it was acting strange. Jerks 1 Coyote 0. VF

Applies to humans, too
I was hiking on a trail in Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. It was a sunny day. Alligators like to sun themselves, apparently. The two huge dead logs to my right suddenly hissed, and one of them dashed into the pond. It circled the pond, keeping its beady eyes on me. The lower log stayed put but slowly opened its jaws and kept them open. I froze, then carefully began walking again, this time a little farther to the left side.

The adjacent pond also had two gators sunning themselves, this time on the far side of the pond.

Seeing a few people with a leashed basset hound coming from the other direction, I stopped to warn them. People do take dogs on that trail; someone at the state park where I was camping said they also saw gators while walking their two dogs (leashed).

I have no sympathy for the owners that let their dogs run loose where they’re not supposed to be off leash, or even there at all.

I’m not pigeon-holin’ anybody or group.

– Last Updated: Feb-20-08 9:01 AM EST –

I'm saying no matter where you go, get some information about where you're going (the internet's good for other thing besides getting on a message board) and the habits of the creatures there, therefore saving you grief, injury, or death and to prevent the animals from being dispatched due to human ignorance and carelessness.
I've lived in and around Florida waters all my life (50+years) and I know enough about dogs and gators to know it's easier to train a dog to avoid gators than it is to train the gators. In fact I trained my two female german shepherds to be my gator alarms. Couldn't get them anywhere near a body of water without them looking and sniffin' for gators first and only when they were by my side or with me in a canoe. They died of old age because I taught them what to do and what not to do in gator habitat.