Kokatat dry suit: Soaking underneath

Not The Same…
waveski’s are exclusively for surfing breaking waves. Surfskis more for racing, tho’ I am sure a nice downward run on a big swell is greatly appreciated by surf skiers for a speed boost.

In terms of immersion wear, there are different options for winter wear and not all of it has to be “dry wear.” Fact is the greater skills, the more viable options one has with immersion wear.

Folks with lots of seat time can decide more appropriately what immersion wear fits their needs and paddling venues. For newbies, they have to rely on the recommendations of more experienced folks. In context of PNet, seakayakers and their “dogma” rule.

sing

Drysuit shortcomings

– Last Updated: Dec-11-07 7:28 AM EST –

Welcome to the world of drysuits.

There is no drysuit made that will allow you to have total cold water protection and engage in an aerobic activity without getting damp. You have to actually cheat here or there. You slightly under dress for immersion so you don't over-heat. You are still protected but you are not going to swim for an hour. If you dress for total immersion, then you will sweat and get damp.

There is no clothing made that will keep you totally dry. Wicking clothing works and helps but it's not absolute. Wicking material has to have something to wick to. If it doesn't touch something it can't wick. I like my wicking 2-layer long John top from Walmart. For me it works better than anything I've tried.

Plus the PFD blocks the breathability of Gortex.

One tip: start your winter paddles out very slowly and let your body slowly adjust to the aerobic activity. If you start out hard, you will be pouring out sweat.

simple answer
don’t sweat—stop paddling so hard:)

Funny…
But I have actually thought of lightly dampening my baselayer shirt prior to starting paddling to prevent overheating.

It seems that my body reaches its “thermal equilibrium” once I have saturated my baselayer with a light coating of sweat. Until then I feel too hot. Once I get my baselayer damp I feel perfect as long as I don’t stop for an extended period of time.

Matt

depends

Meridians Don’t Breath
Once we accept that and that the water is cold you may do what I did.

I had 2 of them they were great untill they delaminated (warranty does not work for that apparently)

I use heavy HH base layer then a heavier HH sweater and pants layer. When I get to hot i would do a high brace.

Once I got out of that with ice at my shoulders. I was toasty warm but had a crust of snow form inside the suit.

I now have Kokotat Goretex and it serves me well.

It is wearing badly at the thighs all the same.