kudos to Perception - I think

I don’t see any
bad intent in Ed’s post either. I think he was trying to

1. get the dealers side of the story

2. maybe give ya some perspective as to how the dealer might see things

Most folks here seem to be friendly, helpful people with a few notable ecptions. Hope things work out well for ya Linda, but don’t think the whole human race is in the toilet.

lindakeith
I apologize if I have offended you. That was not my intent. Mikepaddle and dwaugh both posted comments which would make one think that the dealer was to blame. Having dealt with him several times and knowing him as a straight shooter, I felt he was the one being slandered.

I’m sorry your yak purchase didn’t go well, and hope it will not keep you from enjoying paddle sports. Over the years I’ve purchased around 20 yaks. Some have suited me well, others haven’t, but thats just the way it goes. Bottom line was it was my money and my decision.

I’m also sorry to hear about your medical issues and hope things improve. At about 70 lbs over my ideal weight (but who believes those charts anyway) I’m not exactly the “thin” person you were referring to.

Peace,

DE

lots of folks have tough times
I’m calmer now but it took awhile.

The dealer at first appeared to me to be a quiet man who just loves to paddle. He does have fair pricing so he isn’t in it just for the money so I didn’t argue with him about the sales tax - because I felt he was hurt as well.

So then he goes and makes up stuff to tell this other paddler…and it shows up here. Of course I was going to react.

Somehow, someday, maybe the more positive things about me will come through. I hate whining and I hate it more than ever when I find myself doing it. The last thing I want to be is to end up being my mother. Oh no.

In my careers I’ve helped many a person out and there have been people who have helped me out.

Speaking of careers, I’ve a curiousity that would kill a dozen cats. I think that curiousity is how I ended up becoming a librarian in the first place many many years ago and then eleven years ago I began to take tax classes and for awhile I also took classes and was certified to teach water aerobics. I was the token “big” instructor at a club that had real and some well sized people in it. The club I go to now - I’m really in the minority there.

In a few weeks I will be working with a few dozen or more tax pros and they will fill me in on Ohio Sales Tax laws. If I find out I’m right - I will be right faxing the law to that dealer’s email address.

I can be the most laid back person on one hand and far too over sensitive on the other. I don’t tend to judge others but once I feel judged it is another matter.

My weight weighs heavy on my emotions and I’ve not lost any lately. My mother was heavy, she ate far more than I do and did far less physical activity and she never took any prednisone.

Folks who change bits of truths around to make a better story or for whatever reason grind me. My mom (died a year ago on the 15th) was a pro at this. Anyway I’m sure that is part of my over reaction.

Apology accepted and I won’t buy that bottle of tequilla just yet.

After you are done wallowing in your
self pity you could apologize to the dealer and Dirty Ed. The dealer treated you fairly and probably lost money. Dirty Ed just stuck up for him and made no insults toward you. Sorry that you had a hard life and wish you the best. That dealer sounds like someone I would like to do business with. And Perception did the honorable thing also.

Interesting thread

– Last Updated: Nov-17-05 9:29 PM EST –

This is an interesting thread, I think we can all agree with that. So many threads on here, although entertaining and informative, do not have this degree of humanity. I frankly applaud you all for your candid attitudes as you post here. It was a real eye opener when Ed saw the yak, and chose to tell us all on p-net; he could have told lindakeith via email or, as many of us might have done, not mentioned it at all. But in an open and honest post, I think intended to help Linda see the other side of the situation, which, over a day or two, it did. I imagine Ed does have a relationship with the dealer after buying 7 vessels from him; this only adds to the sincerity of the post. I can imagine you crapped bricks when Linda called the dealer and read your post. Sort of a "oops, there goes the discount on that sweet paddle in the window" kind of feeling. But your insight was well intentioned, as I see it. Thank you, Ed.

In the end, it is LindaKeith who has worn her "heart-on-the-sleeve" for us all, making me, anyhow, see it all from another perspective. I know the ravages of prednisone, and what lindakeith writes about it is correct. We can all live through your posts, lindakeith, not only about the Perception deal, which could happen to us all in one form or another, but because of what you may be going through personally. Again, sharing your problem with the boat, then your venom, and now your resolve, is very sincere of you. Thank you, Linda Keith.

Now, as suntan is so gracefully trying to do here, and this is honestly one of the most important threads we could all have on p-net: let's find lindakeith a boat. If we could find a kayak, at a dealer and a price that lindakeith could paddle successfully, we would all feel super about it. Let's help. Let's think.

Sounds like she got her boat
a Pungo that works well for her. Hope she finds the peace and pleasure from paddling that I have.

This is one of those situations where there was probably no malice on anyone’s part. Linda did research and thought she found the perfect boat for her. Un-named dealer thought she knew just exactly what she wanted, and sold it to her. Perhaps he mentioned it would ride low in the water, but felt she was knowledgeable enough to understand what that meant. Perhaps she heard him, but misunderstood it as an off-hand comment, not a warning. Linda gets her dream boat, that ends up more of a nightmare. She eventually gets it resolved through the company, but wishes she could have avoided the stress in the first place. Ed sees the posts, but has personal experience with the dealer as a good guy. He wants to share this, and remind all that there are often two sides to a story. Linda was feeling better about her experiences, then sees Ed’s comments and feels that she is being judged, it stirs up emotional issues and frustrations about health and weight.

Linda, now you really do just need to focus on the right boat. For the record, I am average size/weight, and I HATED the the airlite Sonoma. Tested a number of other different boats, it was my least favorite. Some of the other ones the reviewers raved about just weren’t right for me… even when I expected to love them. Kudos to you for reclaiming your health and fitness. You are on the right track. I’m sure you will find the perfect next boat for you. Save that Tequilla for margheritas after your first paddle in your new boat!

Ed, good for you for trying to keep things balanced. Lots to be learned from all these posts.

Right on, mill.

Group hug!
OK and can we have a promise not hear anymore about how Prednisone ruined my life … it’s getting a little old.

okay seadart
It is old - There are folks who just assume that all heavy people are damn lazy. Lazy describes perhaps my sister and my mother, but it doesn’t fit me well - I just look lazy.

Last night I met a woman at a local church, very heavy and very full in the facial features. Turned out the cause was said drug, and she has been off of it for years as well.

Just count your lucky stars and avoid this drug if you are ever ill.

Said drug
Linda, my son, who has asthma, has had to be on “said drug” several times in the past 5 1/2 years. Thank GOD, not for long durations. The only way to describe his “reaction” to this drug is a small child with PMS on speed! He’s bouncing off the walls and would cry at the drop of a hat or not. Not a pleasant experience for me, I can’t imagine what it must be like for those that must take it. Hang in there, my friend, I know you will find that perfect boat for years of pleasure on the water. Dori

Limbo limbo, go unda da Pungo stick

– Last Updated: Nov-18-05 10:00 PM EST –

"It is old - There are folks who just assume that all heavy people are damn lazy. Lazy describes perhaps my sister and my mother, but it doesn't fit me well - I just look lazy."

See I told you, heart on the sleeve. Damned straight. No smoke and mirrors from Lindakeith. For that I salute you. Most people hide behind a veneer of Nice N Easy and Crest Whitestripes; Lindakeith you step out into the limelight and act natural and say what is on your mind and what is in your heart. I wish I could put your hearty wisdoms in a tiny little bottle and wear them around my neck and when I begin feeling self conscious, just pop the cork off that baby and snort a line or two of your confidence. Would get me back on track. Salute, Lindakeith!

I wish I understood better why you desire a new vessel. I mean, you you seem to like your Pungo 12, and TSChuck and others seem to like it. What attributes are you looking for in a new vessel, Lindakeith? Maybe we could better determine what you need if we knew. It seems, from reading into your post, that you are looking for something for bigger water rather than creeks (you stated you'd save the Pungo for that). Is that the case?

seadart, I agree with you wholeheartly

– Last Updated: Nov-18-05 10:29 PM EST –

and I'm certainly not going to judge by what one paddles. I'm going to look for the smile on your face as you paddle. the cost isn't going to determine how much fun you're having.

thanks cooldoctor
Most everyone one Pnet, with an exception here or there, have been wonderful. I appreciated deeply your comments on my open and honest expression, Some folks resent it and others do not.

In fact one member hooked me up with another member who plans to sell his Pungo 140 soon and I’d be going up to try it out this weekend but my brother, who has charge of my dad’s house, has pretty much told me not to come there as he won’t be there this weekend as he has plans elsewhere and the house will be locked.

The Pungo 140 will be longer than the 12 foot Pungo. So maybe this is going to be the perfect boat for me for some time into the future. He is building a bulk head into it and is holding it for me until I can get up there, which is now looking like Sunday December 11th.

My father wasn’t too cool on my not being able to get into his house so he is sending a key but it won’t be here for another week. I’ll let dad let my brother know I’m getting a key.

At the moment I have very safe and fond feelings about the Pungos.

However, being a gadget freak and getting older all of the time, I will eventually want something with high stability, lightweight, capable of holding my weight, and longer.

I’m delighted to be puchasing the longer one. I plan to keep those muscles I built up and learn to use my roller loader so I can go out alone when spring hits. I had a lot of help from the local group this summer but I want to be more self-sufficient at least as far as the so called lakes around here are concerned. Wednesday nights are fine but ideally I’d just pick a place and go out all day - which is easier to do in Michigan than it is down here.

Perception told me that they made a mistake in their specs - I have not checked them lately to see if they have cleared that up. I will be looking up the sales tax issue with my tax pro associates when the season starts. Meanwhile pre-season tax pro training starts tomorrow!

Since I’m here this weekend rather than in Michigan, I now have scheduled the Salvation Army to arrive and pick old furnishings (which is something I thought folks would have come for on either of the last two weekends) The way I figure it - the less places to crash (sleep) the less apt I am to house strangers for more than a night or two. I’ve had my share of roommates, and what comes from them broken vacuum cleaners, juicers with parts missing mysteriously, and dried out acrylics and magic markers returned to my art supplies uncapped.

I’ve found that being open about myself is both a good thing and a bad thing. It just depends. Thanks for your positive thoughts. Today I did need to hear them.

Linda

Pungo 12 to 14 footer
Linda: That is super that you have found a boat you like in the Pungo 12, and maybe one that will be better for you in the Pungo 14. I guess I wonder, as a self-proclaimed gadgetfreak, if this will be a huge difference for you, or simply feel like a longer model of the same thing. I suppose you’ll better be able to figure that out when you test ride it. If too similar, you’ll likely be jonesin’ for another boat ina year or two.

I, like you, have never heard of keeping the sales tax when a customer returns any item. It is always returned with any item I have ever purchased/returned in my life. I cannot recall one item where it was not given back to me. The sale did not go through, so the sales tax is returned. Ask you tax experts as you say. Important in principle.

future boat junkie
In two years or so I will have three or more large loans paid off and perhaps a whole lot of poundage off of my person.

If all goes well, I’m sure I’ll want something longer and sleeker long before I can afford it.

Perception - Customer Service
It has been my experience that Perception has absolutely horrible customer service. Their staff is unwilling to resolve problems regarding manufacturing defects and they do not return e-mails.

I heard that Perception was bought by another company. Evidently, Perception has no intention of servicing or keeping its existing customers.

Thank you, cooldoctor
for some comments you made - not to me, to LindaKeith - but they just happened to be exactly what I needed to hear at a certain time (regarding wearing her heart on her sleeve).

In my words, she’s “real”. It’s hard to be real in an off-the-shelf-personality world. And it’s not always accepted so well. Your post actually made my day, as I was kicking myself pretty good about a recent incident where I did just that - wore my heart on my sleeve. Maybe I should re-think that as a positive of sorts, and not a negative (though of course, there’s a time for everything).

ShermanPeabody–You make me hole
That is a very kind comment. Thanks. I know I get randy on here once in a while, but like the petting zoo deer in bruce’s separate post, I am a tame critter when not threatened. Your post is vague, mysterious, as if a sudden something happened in your life. Cryptic and interesting. I hope you are “real”. I hope you are doing well. You are in Chicagoland, me in Illinois. You Lone Ranger, me Kimosabe. Me Tarzan, you Jane. Me go sleepy.

I hope I’m real too
although being real has its benefits and drawbacks. Some days I practice one-dimensionality. LOL

Now, sleepyhead, go do the wifey cuddledud thing. That still sounds cute.