KW: "Do as I say..."

You never know what you have left at any age. Just think of “The Falling Man” . I’d rather go kayaking.

2 Likes

Hmmm… somehow, I have missed this forum. LOL! When we moved 8 years ago, told my wife that I really didn’t want a house with a big yard. Frankly, I did not want to spend my “free” time mowing, raking, etc (never mind dying of a heart attack while doing that…). I keep my sanity by getting my outdoor activities in on the weekends.

We got a house with a larger yard (than the previous house) which she enjoys. But, it’s a less than “perfectly” maintained because I’ll mowed or rake only when there are no waves rolling in, or a fishing excursion or backpacking trip planned. That’s the compromise. :slight_smile: The plus/minus of the bigger yard for me is that I have too many boats lying around. :confused:

sing

2 Likes

Hey Wayne, saw you put your Foster boat up for sale. Beautiful boat. Always liked Foster’s designs (especially the smaller Rumour…). Must be bittersweet. Hope you continue to enjoy paddling your canoe for a long time.

sing

2 Likes

DOhhh! What’s wrong with you, sing. I like a nice yard, but like you said, you have to kayak when the waves are rolling in. My mother-in-law called on a Wednesday, crying so hard I couldn’t understand her. The lawnmower wouldn’t start and Easter was on Sunday. Good grief. Had to take my lawn mower there and cut her grass.

The only person I could get to go with me regularly was my sister. She’s 76 now and can still swing a paddle. Her son has started kayaking and made great progress in his first season, but he lives 1 hr 15 minutes away near York, PA.

I retired in 2007, but started a job working with wood. I quit full time in Jul 2015, because I’d look out the window and think, I could be kayaking today. We’re running out of time, so we got to take the moment, even if it kills us. Sorry! I can’t find anybody who wants to keep me safe when the muses stir me.

3 Likes

Sing , That’s actually my better half’s boat. She’s clearing out two of her fleet and buying a Stellar 15 to replace them. Her Arluk 1.9 went quickly, and she’s hoping the Silhouette will as well. She’s decided to have one that fits her well, and her Explorer LV for questionable forecasts.

She offered me the Silhouette, but I have enough already.

If you value your life, stay at home alone, wrap yourself in bubble wrap, and don’t move off your couch. Of course, it isn’t much of a life, but at least you’ll be safe.

I like kayaking alone because that’s how you get the best wildlife photos. No worries about people talking, someone wanting to play music, or someone thinking a race to the end point is more enjoyable than enjoying nature. BTW, the drive to and from your kayaking is probably a lot more dangerous.

5 Likes

You make a great point. I bet you would never paddle around dangerous reptiles. Cute little fella! Some people have them in their back yard.

2 Likes

Thanks for restoring my recollection. In my head, I am somehow stuck with the thought that you paddle one of those “Greenland” style inspired boats (in contrast to the “British” or “American” (PNW) styles… LOL!)

sing

This one found itself in the wrong “backyard.”

It’s lucky that a fisherman plucked in out. We are getting snow today in western MA and tonight in eastern MA. :slight_smile:

sing

1 Like

Perhaps we should stop saying “never” and start saying “be smart”.

In other words, make your choices based on a complete assessment of the risks and benefits and live with the consequences, good or bad.

7 Likes

Wise words! Otherwise we would be in bubble wrap. Never paddle around alligators! Never paddle in waves that come past your knees. Never paddle when it’s snowing. Never paddle in fast moving water . . . I’d be OK.

Actually, you were correct. I have a CD Caribou, and an Anas Acuta. I sold my Betsie Bay a few years ago. Still use a GP, too :wink:

1 Like

So many of your thoughts in this post are so much like my own. If I always waited for others to join me I’d go kayaking a couple of times a month instead of a few times a week. I’m not getting any younger, stronger, or more able, only less.

What I will do is honestly assess the risks I’m taking and their potential consequences, and be honest with myself about them.

2 Likes

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream: :flushed::flushed:

I see the face taunts, but I know you agree, 52.

I hope you have many more years of paddling. My mother says I shouldn’t do the things I do at my age so she only gets an abbreviated version of any adventure.

4 Likes

I thought I was adventurous, until reading what other paddlers do. As a young kid, bodies of water intrigued me. My older brother bought a canoe and we started exploring. Eventually, family, tight finances, and the job kept me from buying my own boat or taking the time to go out on the water.

Despite having great vacation benefits, other responsibilities kept me from the water. On nice days, I’d think how I could be on the water. I finally bought a couple of canoes and a 9 ft Perception. The little rec kayak was so much fun, I kept buying longer boats and my obsession became further and faster.

Then I took a break to work on my house. My rotator cuff tore and two tendon are still detatched. So It looked like kayaking was over for me. Then I joined the forum and it seemed that everybody is old and busted up. If you can do it, then I can do it too. I figured out how to paddle without the rotator cuff. I’ll never achieve some of the exploits I read about, but within two months I’m close to where I left off.

When you read everyone’s stories and look at the posted pictures, its clear that you can’t do that unless you know what youre doing. I’m sure I speak for a few others: I don’t have a death wish, and I know how to avoid danger, but it’ll have to kill me to make me stop.

Angela, I’m afraid to ask what type of kayaking you enjoy, that you can’t tell your mother. Then what kid tells his or her mother everything they do. That’s probably why paddledog52 made funny faces.

“Old and busted up”…

This quote sums up how I’ve felt since I was 25, and couldn’t be more true now that I’m in my 40’s :joy::joy::joy:

OMG, I cannot believe someone in their 40s said that! I am a 77 y.o woman and I feel FAR from busted up even though I have broken one leg multiple times and one arm a time or 2.
I still do pretty much everything I have always done…my hubby is the brake:((…I canoe class 2/3 rivers in my area, walk about 4/5 miles a day, ride my bike, garden…where I live that means digging a hole to plant nearly anything requires a pick and pry bar. I attribute that not to anything healthy I have done, but to having picked the right parents. I do realize I am extremely lucky.

It isn’t the years, it’s the mileage :joy:

I have also had broken bones, two concussions, as well as back injuries from a career involving a lot of heavy lifting, plus a lot of rough roads in commercial trucks with horrible suspension. Combined with nearly two decades of a lot of sitting, it takes a toll on the overall health.

1 Like