Lake Louise, Canada

YoHo
Just between Banff and Jasper, Yoho Provincial Park lies to the West. It has some of the most amazing lakes, waterfalls and hiking trails. Emerald Lake truly lives up to its name, and is breathtakingly beautiful. In fact, the native name translates into “Amazing!” While crowded in tourist season, not near the traffic you would find at Lake Louise. Google this one. There is another lake in the park that is accessible either by hiking in or shuttle bus, I believe it is O’Hare Lake and a more secluded gem. No matter what crowds you find in this area, its still worth the trip. Don’t be discouraged from going and experiencing this wonderful area. Go Canada!

Timing
Is early June too early to visit this area?

Early June at Yoho area
There is variation from year to year, and variation due to elevation, but in general many of the boat-accessible mountain lakes will be open (at least mostly open) by early June. For hiking, it will depend on the elevation - certainly there is a high probability of residual snow over about 6000 feet elevation.

For a specific lake, I have found that the parks offices (Yoho, Banff, or Jasper as appropriate) will give a prediction of ice-out, and up to date information on ice. If you are a serious paddler, note that the lakes in this particular junction of the parks (ie: near Yoho) are small if not tiny. Bigger lakes may be found elsewhere in Jasper (Maligne) and Banff (Minnewanka) parks. As for Lake O’Hara, mentioned in the previous post, it is not only very small (less than half-mile diameter) but very difficult to get a boat to. The bus up has strict baggage limits such that even a folder might be tough to get on. The hike in is 8 miles, with a good elevation gain.

However, it is a nice time to visit this area because the days are long and the crowds are less.

Thanks
Thanks for the info. Actually, I wasn’t thinking about paddling there, just day hiking and sightseeing. My major concern is whether the trails are passable and if there are huge clouds of black flies or something dire.

June
I’ve been there twice in early June and found it to be quite pleasant, at least from Kananaskis up to just north of the Columbia Icefields. No black flies, not even mosquitos at most elevations. And less rain than in August and September (when you can also get snow overnight at the higher elevations campgrounds). Though there is always rain at some point during any trip there. Be sure to bring good rain gear.

A Japanese/American dictionary…
…would be a help. I was there last in 1994, on a motorcycle trip to southern AK. Rarely heard English spoken. BTW - those are Columbian Ground Squirrels that Willow describes and I concur about the aggressiveness of the “park” variety when they smell food !