Lanterns

Black Diamond ‘Appollo’ L.E.D. lantern

– Last Updated: Sep-21-08 11:52 PM EST –

Used one on my 3 week roadtrip this summer, very nice. Has a 3 watt L.E.D. that can be dimmed (to a nice glow)or brightened (way bright) by holding in the on/off button. Compresses down to half size for travel, and has a hanging bail and 3 legs that store folded up or can fold down for a tripod affect. Nicer than the Coleman, Gerber, etc lanterns. Black Diamond is a climbing gear company but makes some of the nicest L.E.D. headlamps, and now lanterns that we have ever sold. The best part is they are silent.

Multi-use
http://www.rei.com/product/722830

This light from Paddlers Supply is almost too bright when mounted on the stern for a night paddle - a section of bike innertube can be slipped over teh wand to attenuate teh light.

Sitting upright on a picnic table under a tarp it provides sufficient light for cooking.

Jim

River rock lantern
I normally only carry a cheap headlamp and it is all I need but take a look at a river rock lantern that takes 4 aa batts. I know real lanterns use gas but this little things puts out a great amount of useable light for its size.

I hate when the guy next to me leaves his duel mantle coleman burning all night.

River Rock Lantern
I agree the River Rock is the best out there. The latest is even better. Three AA batteries and two light levels, the output is amazing and the thing is tiny. As far as I know it is only available at Target and is sold where the flashlights are, not in the camping department. The River Rock headlamp is also outstanding and takes 3 AA’s. Having both solves the problem of recharging an uneven number of batteries.

kerosene?
How do you manage to carry a hurricane kerosene lantern without it spilling fuel all over? Just the wick alone “wicks” out fuel. I like them also but never could figure out how to carry them on a canoe trip.

Mini Coleman
I have an older version of this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73820

It is small and light and has been with me on every paddle and backpack camping trip I have done in the last 12 years or so even when cutting my gear down to the bare minimum.

It is normally turned way down to give a little soft light around the table.

They rate it for 3 hours on a tank of fuel, but the way we use it I get more like 18-20 hours a tamk.

Last year I picked up a Kelty Shade House http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23931

When the lantern is hung in here, it provides a great soft light around camp.

It’s hard to believe…
…that people actually carry huge lanterns with them paddling and especially backpacking. more power to them if they have the room and can handle the weight.

i normally carry a headlamp and a small flashlight, only. i am pondering carrying a very small (5"H x3.5"W) Eddie Bauer LED “lantern”/light on my next paddling trip. can’t find it on the net after a quick search, but it was a gift, and being EB, surely it’s overpriced. this is the absolute most i would pack.

however, i prefer to carrier something very small & very light weight, whether packing or paddling. save the wieght for other, more useful luxery items.

I have a headlamp & several flashlights
but once I’m set up for the evening I find my cooking fire is the only light I need unless I have to hunt for something (such as a tool) or in an emergency situation, then I’ll use the headlamp. For the most part I prefer to keep my night-vision so I can get out on the water and watch the stars pass overhead as I hone my skills for celestial navigation.

My only exeption to this is when camping at a springhead I’ll use my underwater LED lamp set-ups off each end of my canoe pole to enjoy the view of the now lit-up spring bottom and watch the fish enteract with the lighting.

These consist of 2 LEDs w/ waterproof connecters (home-made), 2 old flashlight reflectors, 2 - 2 oz. brass weights w/ a hole big enough to slip over 2 thin, insulated elec. wires about 30 ft. long for each lamp, 2 D-cell batteries (one for each end of my canoe pole) and a roll of either elec. or duct tape.

To use I first tie off the canoe to two trees on opposing sides of the spring pool, then position the canoe over the spring until I’m find the right spot and tie off. I then open the small “mood-lighting” pack and pull out the lighting assembly. I slide one of the coiled assembly off the 1&1/2" tubing onto one end of my pole, tape on the battery and then the wires to the battery’s ends. Repeat the process for the other end, making sure they’ll unroll in the same direction. Once I lower the lights to there desired depth I lay and tape the pole to the gunwales transversely amidships with my underwater lighting set-up about five to ten feet of the bottom of the spring pool. Then I hop out and slowly swim (think bug-biting prevention. I want to lower my skin temp.) about 15’-20’ ashore. As I drip-dry ,cook, or just kick back in my chair enjoying some native decaf tea at the edge of the spring, I can watch intently the action below all night long if I so desire. Great entertainment at very low cost.