Latest on Laser Flares?

Save your money

– Last Updated: Oct-11-05 3:55 PM EST –

The Coast Guard nor anyone else is bound by law to recognize a laser flare as anything but a toy. There are plenty of waterproof USCG approved strobe lights on the market. They work day and night, are not directional, will operate 8 hours continuously, are recognized as a distress device. Some turn on automatically so you don't even need to be conscious to use it.

The Laser is not USCG approved
One Laser is NOT USCG Approved!

Posted by: Evans on Oct-10-05 9:24 AM (EST) Category: unassigned

– Last Updated: Oct-11-05 9:29 AM EST –

As a preface, I simply was following up on a prior thread in which people wondered if the new lasers were USCG approved. I asked one company politely and respectfully. Here is the answer. I do not intend any criticism or endorsement here, in keeping with the spirit of our forum. I have my own reactions to this, and will use this information to guide my own decision to use these products. I post this as helpful information for you all to use or not in your choices. Your own reactions and comments always appreciated.

-----Original Message Sent-----

Dear Greatland Laser

I am an instructor and leader in our kayak club. Please state whether your lasers are USCG approved for the North East coast, Maine, R.I., MA, CT, NY, etc.

Dear Evan,

We did not bother to get CG approval as the process is antiquated as far as

new technology goes. We figure folks are smart enough to supplement a short

burn pyrotechnic flare with our product. See www.greatlandlaser.com for

more information.

I taped a Magnum flare to my paddle and use it all the time for a variety of

applications.

Best Regards

Jim O’Meara

P.O. Box 2042

Homer Alaska

99603-2042

907 235 4198

907 223 5999 cell

laser@alaska.net

My conerns about flares/lights/smoke etc
Perhaps the start of another go around about the entire topic of how to save ourselves once our best water management pland go south, regarding laser flares:

IMO real world concern is that in heavy seas, in or thrown out of ones boat there are significant difficulties with using any distress product that requires opening it, settting it off, holding onto it, and keeping it with you if separted from ones boat, let alone it actually being seen by those who will interpret it as a genuine emergency distress call, and then if people come to help you have something conscious or not at that point that will guide them to you at that point.

My current interest in a laser flare is that it may, and I stress may reduce the danger of setting off a flare and having to hold it, it may be used over a long period of time, and it may be more visible over a long distance, and it may be useful in guiding people to you once they are out there tracking you.

Of course this is where a cell phone, vhf radio, gps capability, sat phone, eprirg, etc, all get discussed. For offshore, fog, and storm conditions, the solution that can be used in the worst conditions, that gives the fastest notice and the best most exact fix on your changing position will imo save your hide and be the LEAST risk for those charged with saving you as well.

These are only hypotheses on my part, at this time, not conclusions, and meant as food for thought only.

Two more advantages of pyro flares:
They could be used to start a fire, if no other means available.

They could be used as a weapon.

Agreed
Just like James Bond did in “From Russia With Love.”

I haven’t had to use my kayak to smuggle a beautiful Russian defector out of Istanbul yet, so I haven’t had to use a flare gun in that manner.