Latest start to the season ever

Here was Bear Lake on ~May 1, 2018 . I went for an 11 mile paddle and was the only person on the lake on a Sunday Morning. Bear Lake is 21 miles long and 7 miles wide, and is still iced over almost the entire lake this week.

Bear lake Sup still

May 1, 2023

2 Likes

I feel sorry for those that need to wait for a lake to thaw; rivers are so much more stubborn about freezing and eager to open back up again.

Cold and rainy in SW MI for a few days but we missed the possible snow since it’s only 25 degrees below normal. Silly me was expecting Spring to be better for paddling than Winter.

Well, it turned out not too bad. We were planning to go up to the family property in Antrim County on the 2nd. I checked with my nephew who lives there & he said that we could get bck into the cabin. Mostly 2 - 3" or less by 5 PM. a lot melted during the night & Wednesday & Thursday were great. The Trout lillies really started popping & I saw a couple of Trilliums with buds.

1 Like

You must have experienced the same May storm that I did. Big mid May storm, 1975, it was my freshman year final exams (and my birthday) in college. Memorable, though still to this day I am not sure if it is a good or bad memory.

sing

Water levels in NH are pretty high right now. I drive to Laconia today for a job and the Merrimack is high all the way up. As is Winnisquam.

Wow. What a difference a few miles and elevation makes! The snow remnants here finally melted today. Trout lilies are blooming and I expect the Trillium to start flowering by this weekend. My favorite season.

Did get one boat out of the shed. It’s now sitting in my porch. Naturally, the forecast calls for rain over the next few days.

There was a still fair amount around 5 PM Tuesday when we pulled in.

The trout lilly picture was about 24 hours later. Only a few piles left when we headed back south this afternoon.

Just back from our first paddle of the year. Mountain Island Lake NC, water about 70, air in the mid 60s, cloudy and a little rain, but almost no wind.

1 Like

Love the cabin.

1 Like

Late indeed. Last evening first time out 2023. As you can see my eyebags are giving me back problems.

Peace J