Latex Gaskets - Trim or stretch??

Thanks Again!
I do have a Kokatat Semi-Dry Suit, and my original question was on the Wrist Gaskets only. The semi-dry suit has neoprene for the neck seal.

I figured I would try stretching first, and trimming second. Once they are trimmed, you can’t put anything back on.

I appreciate all of the input!

21 more days until SPRING! :slight_smile:

I can assure you …
… my gear gets used.

I just looked back through my paddle log – unfortunately I don’t record what gear I wore each time the kayak went out, but I’d say the drytop in question certainly was used between 50 and 100 days every year. And, the drysuit did not spend its life in the box on the shelf. I can assure you it too was used (and it did get used several times 15 years from its date of purchase). It is possible to get many years of service from a set of latex gaskets, but you gotta take very good care of ‘em. And, the fact that I initially stretched the gaskets on both to get a comfortable fit when the garments were new did not have a negative impact on their life.

I gladly concede that trimming ‘em has worked for you and others, and that it can be a viable option, especially if done carefully and conservatively. But, it is not the only way, nor do I think it should be done as a first option. I have more of a tendency to believe that equipment manufacturers know what they are talking about on this issue when they say wrist gaskets should be stretched not trimmed.

-John D.

Circumscission …
Trim or stretch???